Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp question.

fruitguy
fruitguy Posts: 303
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
First ovnight cook on xl. Have not put meat on. Bottom is open at about 3/4" and daisy wheel is open 100%. Holding at about 275 on the dome. Seems like from most posts the daisy should be closed more. I did check the thermometer in boiling water before I put the egg together.

Comments

• The bottom vent has more influence. For250 my bottom vent is own about a quarter inch. Did you fill up with lump? What temp do you want. 275. Will be good for butt overnight. You wont sleep much.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• fruitguy
    About 30 minutes into it. Have the dome at 275 and the daisy wheel is a sliver open and about 1/4" on the bottom. Played withe the fire for about an hour before I put the meat on. As for sleep, I agree it will be little to none. I have been taking pictures, just need to resize them from my iPhone before I add them.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I'd be concerned that the other lump will light and the temp will take off.  I think your temp isn't air limited right now, its just how much lump you have burning.  With the vents opened that much, you could support a much higher temp which I'm thinking it will hit once the fire spreads.

Frank
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Ooops you posted at the same time I did.  Sounds like you have it shut down enough now to start leveling off the fire so you can rest..at least a little.
  • fruitguy
    Thanks. Followed advice from other posts and slit a new bag of lump open and loaded large pieces on the bottom to help with air flow. As for sleep, not sure.