Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusty Cast Iron grate, what to do???

JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

My husband accidentally left our cast iron grate outside and it's very rusty.  What's the best way to clean it?  I'm worried if I soak it in CLR or something like that to get the rust off, the seasoning will be long gone.  If I scrub it with a wire brush, will it be "clean" enough to cook on and not ruin the season?  All advice appreciated!  Thanks!

Julie

Comments

• BGEBob
    BGEBob Posts: 1

You will have to wire brush the rust off. Rinse the dust off. Dry it off. Heat it up good and hot and put oil on it while it is hot. I keep my cast iron oiled with peanut oil. By the way, what is CLR?

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Don't use any chemicals or soap to clean the rust off.  I would not use CLR for sure.  Like BGEBob said, heat it up and put a nice coating of cooking oil on it.  I sometimes will ise PAM or other cooking spray.  It's a little easier to work with.  As the grate cools it will soak in oil and help create a rust resistant barrier.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • CLR is a commercial product - short for "Calcium Lime Rust" .... used to take such residues off stuff from tiles to sinks....your mileage will vary.  I would never put it on a food surface.  I like the suggestion to brush it off with a wire brush; spray it with a hose to remove the dust, heat it up and re-season it with a high-temp oil (like peanut).  Then keep it oiled so it wont rust again.
    Jim Camelford My BGE is in Florida ... my other stuff is in Canada I love BBQ and learning about it And, oh yeah, I also do photography
  • I agree with BGEBob too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i would just cook on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    i would just cook on it
    +1 ... with a little Pam to help it on it's way ....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.