Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoked some white cheddar

Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Decided to try to cold smoke some cheese this weekend. I kept the mini at 300 with apple for smoke and due to it being 40 degrees out the small egg never got over 75 degrees. I smoked it for 2 hours or so which gave it a strong smoky taste but luckily the cheese itself is a strong tasting aged white cheddar so its still really good. Next time I will only smoke for an hour. Melted some over some left over pork and hit it with some blues hog and made an amazing sandwhich last night.

Comments

• Can you offer details of your setup to connect the mini to the small?  I'd like to do something similar and any help / extra pictures are appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Lit
    Thats a 4" to 3" adapter on the DFMT on the mini to a 3" swivel right angle to a 3" aluminum duct. To get the end to fit in the small I took a pair of needle nose and bent the duct into a rectangle and then cut all 4 corners and folded them small and used silver tape to hold it back together smaller. It doesn't have to be air tight in the bottom of the small it just has to fit in. I got all the parts from home depot so there's nothing special required. It only took about 20 minutes to put it together. I wouldn't start with an hour of smoking and then adjust to your taste from therre because I did about 2 hours and it is really smokey.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i found a 3 inch flexible dryer hose (metallic foil, spring coil) will fit into the top vent on a small (used as the firebox) and can be forced into the lower vent of a large (as the smoke chamber)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lit,  what wood did you use?  Was it chunk, chips or dust?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That is too cool. I'd like to smoke some cheese, but since I only have one egg, I'm gonna have to go with the soldering iron trick when i do it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lit
    Lit,  what wood did you use?  Was it chunk, chips or dust?
    I used apple chunks and also some small about 1/2" cubes of white oak that came from a retired wine barrel that makes it sweeter.
  • Griffin, you can also just light about 4 briquettes in a foil pan and place some thin chunks on them for smoke.  Lot's of ways to skin this cat.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Would those be regular charcoal briquettes like Kingsford?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• And I assume you mean doing the briquette trick inside ONE egg, not as an external smoke chamber? Seems like 4 briquettes would not put off too much heat but I could be wrong.

I'm eager to try cold smoking in my LBGE but haven't yet got a plan in place.