Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs.

JGIFFORD
JGIFFORD Posts: 50
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
New to the egg. Can I get some ideas on the best way to cook a couple racks this weekend? To foil or not to foil. Lay flat or on edge. Any help would be great. Cooking on a LG egg.

Comments

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

Welcome to the forum and the Egg!  Here is the recipe I have seen recommended several times on the forum.  I made these about a month ago and they were great.

Car Wash MIke's Ribs
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Thanks. They look great.
  • You could also do a 3-1-1 rib at 250 degrees.  3 hrs w/o foil, 1 hr in foil and then 1 hr w/o foil and sauce.  Pretty simple.

Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Foiled, unfoiled, flat, racked, direct, indirect, sauced or dry. All work. My preference, trimmed spares, coated with oil, then rub. Flat over a drip pan, dome 250 +/- 10 for about 6 hours, or until they pass the bend test. Serve w. warmed sauce on the side.

The primary problem is under cooking, Altho' edible, both loin backs and spares will seem dry and chewy. They may seem overdone, but unless there is actual charred meat, the ribs are undercooked.
  • Foiled, unfoiled, flat, racked, direct, indirect, sauced or dry. All work. My preference, trimmed spares, coated with oil, then rub. Flat over a drip pan, dome 250 +/- 10 for about 6 hours, or until they pass the bend test. Serve w. warmed sauce on the side.

The primary problem is under cooking, Altho' edible, both loin backs and spares will seem dry and chewy. They may seem overdone, but unless there is actual charred meat, the ribs are undercooked.
    Very true with all you say.  There are many different ways to do ribs.  Under cooking I think is #1 problem.  Cook until they pass the bend test.  Good post.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Agree with the undercooking and that there are many (good) ways to cook ribs.  There's a whole contingent that are of the opinion that there should be a little 'chew' or 'pull' from the bone, where others are die hard 'fall off the bone' cooks.  Neither is wrong, like the different cooking methods above, you just need to get a few racks of ribs and try some different methods and see what you like best, but don't get overwhelmed!  Pick one and take it the whole way thru. If you think somethings missing, try another method.  Personally, I love baby backs, I remove the silver skin, rub with a simple homemade rub, and then do a 3-1-1.  3 hours in cherrywood or pecan smoke, 1 hour foiled with a squirt of my basting liquid (equal parts Sweet Baby Rays, Franks Red Hot, and Apple Cider Vinegar), and finally 1 hour out of the foil and basted 2-4 times with the same liquid.  I smoke at 250* dome temp, and will sometimes open the vents the last 15-30 minutes to get a nice finish on the ribs.  I check the ribs for doneness by looking at how far the meat has pulled back and exposed the bones, along with a little twist of the bone to see if it releases.  Good Luck!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    One thing you didn't mention is whether you got baby backs or spares. BB generally cook quicker, take about an hour less than spares.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I am going to get BB's  Thanks for all of the help! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

For BB's you are going to be shooting for about 5 hours, give or take. depends on the rib and whether you like them fall off the bone or with a bit of pull to them.. I would go ahead and shoot for 275 dome, that'll put you about 250 at the grate.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings