Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak and lobster

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready for dinner tomorrow. Picking up 2 4oz potions of Lobster tail and tri -tip steaks. Was thinking of doing baked potatoes on the grill, 450 degrees for 1 + hours. Close to when the potatoes are done I would throw the steaks on, for about 9-11 minutes. Shortly after the steaks go on, place the Lobster on too. Does this make sense?? Question 1, should I cook the potatoes totally first and remove them then bump the heat up as to sear the stakes. Dwell  in the Shell is what I am thinking.. but not sure if I should increase heat in the egg, how do I do the Lobster at a higher heat. Also Dwell in the Shell is more for 8oz tails isn't it. How long for 4 oz. This is my first time with Lobster so going with smaller portions, don't want to blow it.
My mouth is already watering. When I suggested to my sweetheart to do this I got a BIG YES!. Got to do this right. Should I be using any smoke chunks, I have green apple, mesquite (not my fav) and pecan.
TIA
;)
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks what length of time and heat for the lobster? Any idea
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks Tweev
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Probably too late but I just did lobster tails last night - First I cut the membrane belly w/ the little feet off & I did about 5 minutes w/ the meat side down, directly on the grate, then flipped them to the shell side down & poured a mixture of melted butter & garlic over the meat.  I let that sit for another 5 minutes. 

Dome temp was about 400.  Make sure they are thawed out beforehand, as I don't know how long they'd take if they still have ice crystals in them. 

Be prepared, as the lobster meat takes on some of the smoke, so it tastes a lot different than lobster tails at most restaurants (though, I personally like the smoked lobster taste)!! 

Let us know how it went!!

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options

Some people skewer the tails to keep them from curling up. It's personal preference. But Rob is right when he said make sure they're thawed.

Dinner sounds good! Good luck.

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Ok dinner is over, everything turned out very well. Grilled steaks and lobster @ 450. Let the steaks rest while finishing of the lobster. WOW it was very good. What a treat. Thanks to those that lent a hand with info. It helped to get this done. This was my first time doing lobster and I was nervous that I would blow it and have wasted the meat. We will do that again. Thanks again.
    As some have said, "No pics, didn't happen" Here is the proof. Have a great weekend.

Large, small, and a mini
  • losttree
    Options
    Looks real good. I've been Eggin' only a month now. We had lobster a week ago and I was blown away how much better it was on the egg compared to the gasser.
    Adam
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    This thing is addictive. Thanks for the help. Only trouble I see I am going to have is locating lump. I phoned all over town and no one had any in stock. Finally called one store and they had 1 bag, got them to hold it till the end of the day. Went there and happened to see one of the stores staff stocking the self with lump. 4 BAGS, that is it. Bought them all. Nobody around even knows what a Big Green Egg is. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Hoser here. DANG! Live close to the border, maybe ship to the line and then go pick it up.  What is the average price per pound for lump. I am paying $15 for 8 lbs. I feel that is a lot. Yes or No??? 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Crappy Tire is where I bought it from. I am getting soaked. I have one other option I am going to check out next week. Not sure what brand of lump or how much they want. Wonder what Washington state has to offer. What do you guys pay per pound?? I will check Rona out. Everyone that I have talked to about lump and the Egg, give me the deer in the head light look.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    ERRRR! Sorry of my life, always have to pay more. Just outside of the Big City
    Large, small, and a mini
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Options
    Crappy tire in Ontario stocks royal oak during the summer at a reasonable price. Best time to buy is in fall just before Xmas stuff goes up. Rona has maple leaf.