Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

easiest way to change gasket?

Gravytrain84Gravytrain84 Posts: 57
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
What's the best way to take the fried gasket on? Do I have to take my lid off to apply new gasket?
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,421

Easiest way is not to change it ever. Have 3 non-gasket eggs and doing fine for years.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • No air leaks?
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,421
    edited January 2012
    No Sir. They will do low and slow and when I cap and slide the vent they go right to sleep. I like to keep my lump. I would guess we are 50/50 on gaskets, can't be over 60/40.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited January 2012
    No harm in trying what Mickey suggests and go gasketless.   If it works for you, great.

But I'm on the other side of the fence.  I like a gasket on there to avoid banging my lid against my base.  Also saves more lump for your next cook if you don't have a good match between your lid and base - because it extinguishes the lump faster after cooking.

For under $20 and an hour or so of your time, you can put a Rutland gasket on there and be set for life (or a really long time, anyway).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Choke, do you usually take the lid off to do it and what do you use to take the burnt gasket off?
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited January 2012
    Choke, do you usually take the lid off to do it and what do you use to take the burnt gasket off?
    I did take my lid off.  Taking the lid off an XL is super easy (one bolt
    and lift the lid off).  I heard it's harder with a Large.
    I did a detailed step-by-step procedure with photos here:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1069873&catid=1#
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • BakerManBakerMan Posts: 154

I burned two factory gaskets off doing high-heat pizza cooks.  I replaced mine with a Rutland Woodstove gasket and I am very happy with the results.  I do a pizza cook once a week @ 650 with no issues.  It took me about an hour to clean old gasket with acetone and a scotch brite pad (by hand) and install new gasket.

More info is provided below:

Gasket Repair
    This guy has three videos that do a good job of showing how to disassemble Egg, clean off old gasket and reinstall and adjust Egg.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQdOvfLtrE

Nomex Gasket Replacement
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw47jHxIFLE

Rutland Gasket Install (this is what I did)
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

HTH,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
    ·
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 12
    edited January 2012
    I burned one off and replaced it with a nomex one ordered from amazon. It has adhesive on it already, just had to remove some paper. I read about cleaning it and scotchbrit and acetone, but I just heated the old one with a torch then scraped it off while it was hot. Took about 10 minutes, the. I put the new one on right on top, works fine and I did not make a big deal about it. Never even took apart the egg.
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 112
    Why doesn't the egg come with a better gasket? I really want to try cooking a pizza but don't want to deal with the aftermath.
    ·