Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Cook!

CookTurnedTeacher
edited January 2012 in Root
So, I got a BGE from my in-laws for Christmas, looks like a large- awesome gift! So, I got some chicken (thighs, drumsticks, and breast), apple wood chips, and some PBR. All in all, it turned out pretty well- tasted great, nice and moist! I did get a bit too much smoke on the chicken (could be because of a lack of oil on the chicken???), and the BGE didn't maintain heat the way I wanted (which I think was a lack of charcoal on my part)...BUT! I love my BGE and look forward to reading more and learning more about it! 

Comments

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    edited January 2012

6)  Make sure you get the lump going and the bad smoke cleared before you put the food on or you can get an 'acrid' taste from the inital burning of the lump instead of the smoke wood. 

It may take a cook or two to get the temp control down, but once you do, you'll see it's pretty much "set it and forget it!". 

What a great set of in-laws you have! Congrats and welcome

• Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great gift.

You'll find lots of useful information here.  Use the search function liberally but don't be afraid to ask questions.  You'll get a wide variety of very helpful guidance.

In the end, use your egg a lot and find out what works for you.  You will have some hits and some misses, but you'll love your Egg.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012
    1) pics or it didn't happen :) 2) don't be stingy with the coal. Because the egg is air tight all that you dont use you can use the next cook 3) chicken takes up smOke very easily 4) temp control is easy, it just takes a bit of practice 5) welcome aboard;)

Tweev is right on with the advice. Very little chips, I will use just a few of cherry for color. Found the lump has plenty of smoke as it is for chicken.

Tweev could I ask you to pull off the "place to pee" from the end of your post>

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks for all the tips! I didn't get any acrid flavors, luckily! Lots of smoke color though...that'll take some experimentation with to figure out. I think I'll need less chips, more lump, and I've gotta figure out if my thermometer is temped correctly. Also, today I decided to try my hand at bacon wrapped, cornbread stuffed, jalapenos. Started them on the grill, finishing in the oven...I put too much cornbread in, I think...oh well! They look great and have some nice grill marks/ flavor, but were starting to burn a bit on the bottom. I think I need a drip pan...woops! Anyway, here are some pics- first two are from last night, third is my current jalapeno experiment!

• Finished! I had to finish the jalapenos in the oven, because the cornbread was burning...oh well! They taste great!
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012
    Cook Turned Teacher please tell me about the cornbread stuffing of peppers. Got to try that. I just use combo of goat cheese and cream cheese in mine. That cornbread sounds good and real different. Also you might want to try to raise that grill up, it sure helps the cook. This is an adj rack but fire bricks will do the same thing. Just get it up. I found chicken was the one item that I got so much better at cooking. In the gas days it was burnt or raw with NO in-between.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I just made a really simple sweet cornbread recipe, split the jalapenos open, seeded and de-ribbed them, and stuffed some cornbread mix in them and wrapped them in bacon. The recipe I saw for them, on a BGE site, said to put them in a vertical pepper holder whatever that is, but I just put them directly on the grill. I'd recommend a drip tray if you are going to do bacon, it caused a lot of smoke on mine. 
  • Mickey
    Did you put it in the cornbread mix raw and cooked it in the peppers?

• Did you put it in the cornbread mix raw and cooked it in the peppers?
    Yep! Don't put a lot in there though, it expands a lot when it cooks!
  • Mickey
    That is even better than I was thinking. Will be on my next cook.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Can you give some more info on the cornbread? Was it a mix, or your own recipe? Sounds real interesting.

x2 on the Tweev and "place to pee"

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Can you give some more info on the cornbread? Was it a mix, or your own recipe? Sounds real interesting.

I just used this recipe here:
    It made a lot of mix, enough for 15 jalapenos plus a 8x10 pan of cornbread.
  • Mickey
    That is not the cornbread I grew up with, but sounds good.