Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

easiest way to change gasket?

Options
Gravytrain84
Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
What's the best way to take the fried gasket on? Do I have to take my lid off to apply new gasket?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Easiest way is not to change it ever. Have 3 non-gasket eggs and doing fine for years.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gravytrain84
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2012
    Options
    No Sir. They will do low and slow and when I cap and slide the vent they go right to sleep. I like to keep my lump. I would guess we are 50/50 on gaskets, can't be over 60/40.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    Options
    No harm in trying what Mickey suggests and go gasketless.   If it works for you, great.

But I'm on the other side of the fence.  I like a gasket on there to avoid banging my lid against my base.  Also saves more lump for your next cook if you don't have a good match between your lid and base - because it extinguishes the lump faster after cooking.

For under $20 and an hour or so of your time, you can put a Rutland gasket on there and be set for life (or a really long time, anyway).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    Choke, do you usually take the lid off to do it and what do you use to take the burnt gasket off?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Choke, do you usually take the lid off to do it and what do you use to take the burnt gasket off?
    I did take my lid off.  Taking the lid off an XL is super easy (one bolt
    and lift the lid off).  I heard it's harder with a Large.
    I did a detailed step-by-step procedure with photos here:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1069873&catid=1#
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

I burned two factory gaskets off doing high-heat pizza cooks.  I replaced mine with a Rutland Woodstove gasket and I am very happy with the results.  I do a pizza cook once a week @ 650 with no issues.  It took me about an hour to clean old gasket with acetone and a scotch brite pad (by hand) and install new gasket.

More info is provided below:

Gasket Repair
    This guy has three videos that do a good job of showing how to disassemble Egg, clean off old gasket and reinstall and adjust Egg.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQdOvfLtrE

Nomex Gasket Replacement
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw47jHxIFLE

Rutland Gasket Install (this is what I did)
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

HTH,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Trollaltdelete
    Trollaltdelete Posts: 12
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I burned one off and replaced it with a nomex one ordered from amazon. It has adhesive on it already, just had to remove some paper. I read about cleaning it and scotchbrit and acetone, but I just heated the old one with a torch then scraped it off while it was hot. Took about 10 minutes, the. I put the new one on right on top, works fine and I did not make a big deal about it. Never even took apart the egg.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    Why doesn't the egg come with a better gasket? I really want to try cooking a pizza but don't want to deal with the aftermath.