Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE buyer

reichm
reichm Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in EGG Table Forum

I'm going to buy my BGE this week. Any recommendations for a work station/storage cabinet (not plastic or Rubbermaid, please) for the accessories?

Comments

• I would recommend buying the egg (nest too, if necessary) and then determine what you need to maximize your use. I bought the wood sides and loved them for the year, but have since outgrown them and now have a table waiting to be put together.

So, in my opinion, get the egg, a plate setter, ash tool, charcoal, and then determine as you go along. Good luck!
  • reichm

Thanks for the advise.  I did exactly what you did but went for the composite side trays.

Did my first burgers on the grill last night.  My wife said she could actually taste the difference.  On to a pork tenderloin this weekend!

Thanks again!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012

Try a spatchcocked chicken after the tenderloin(very easy). You will never buy the store roasted again. Cook direct at 400 high in grill and never turn over. Takes about 50 min's. I like to leave in fridge the night before uncovered for the better skin.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• reichm

Thanks, Mickey!  I'll try that next.

Does 400 directly mean no platesetter?  50 minutes seems so long.

• 375-400 for 50-60 minutes works for me...but I also go by 160 breast temp and 180 thigh temp to make sure...so time may vary.  Cook by meat temp, using time as a guide.

Direct, no placesetter.  I use an extender to get the grill at least up to the lid level.
  • Reichm:
    Welcome. How do you like the composit Trays. I've been thinking about going down that path plus maybe the front one.
    Thanks,

Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012

Thanks, Mickey!  I'll try that next.

Does 400 directly mean no platesetter?  50 minutes seems so long.

No on platesitter as you are doing a direct cook. The time is alway an est. as you need to cook to temp. That's about how long it takes. You may like (I do) to toss a little (VERY LITTLE) cherry chips as it gives a real good color and light smoke. VERY LITTLE wood if any on chicken.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• reichm
    Thanks again, Mickey!  Any suggestions on slow cooking a thick chuck steak?
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Reichm,

I also bought the pizza stone in addition to the other items nysportsfan listed.    Cook some pizzas on it and you will never order dominos again.  Just be careful with the high temp.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012
    I would cut it into a chili grind size and make a pot of red (for those north of Dallas that is chili).

• reichm

Mickey,

The spatchcocked chicken was great!  It cooked perfectly; just as you suggested.

Any recommendations on seasoning?  We used Montreal Chicken seasoning on it and we're not too impressed.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Google clayq and pulled beef and you"ll get good instructions to slow cook chuck. You don't have to pull it but it comes out tender enough that it just falls apart.
  • Mickey

Mickey,

The spatchcocked chicken was great!  It cooked perfectly; just as you suggested.

Any recommendations on seasoning?  We used Montreal Chicken seasoning on it and we're not too impressed.

I use one of three: Butt Rub (also with turkey legs) or Cluck & Squeal or a coffee rub all work good for me.Also all three work good for spatchcocked turkey or parts

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Reichm:
    Welcome. How do you like the composit Trays. I've been thinking about going down that path plus maybe the front one.
    Thanks,

Elmer Fudd

I'm not Reichm but I do have the composite trays.  The reason I went for composite instead of wood was because they offered a bit more real estate which is always at a premium.  I like them, the only downside to them at all is they can be pretty difficult to keep clean.  I've had good luck using Simple Green to clean them up each time I use them, the only exception being on the cold days when I'm using the Egg....the Simple Green freezes before I can wipe it up. Gotta love the Northeast winters.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    i use rudys dry rub on my chicken, i do it at 375 dome i dont raise my grate, but i flip my chicken half way through for about 15 minutes to crisp up the skin a little, then flip it back over and let it finish cooking to temp. i cook it to 160 - 165 about 50 in total.
  • reichm

Elmer Fudd,

I like the composite trays, a lot!  They are very easy to keep clean and support all the stuff I bring out to cook.  I don't have to worry about the "wood" ever going bad.

Reichm