Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which came first - the chicken or the egg

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

In my case, it was the egg, but followed shortly by the most delicious chicken I have ever tasted.

New to the forum, just got a LGE for christmas.  First I want to thank all of the posters for everything I learned during my research.   I thought this was the direction I wanted to go, reading through the experiences on here confirmed it.

I have had a couple of smokers in the past - and gas grills.   Nothing compares to the LGE in my mind.    Well, will use the gas grill for occaisonal overflow - but I am definately an EggHead. 

So far:

Chicken   Excellent

Ribs        Mediocre

Butt         Excellent

Sausage  Excellent

Pizza       to die for...

Look forward to learning and contributing in any way I can....

boatbum

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    you have to spatchcock a chicken on egg direct heat at about 375 i leave mine skin up for most of cook but flip it 3/4 thru to get skin nice an crisp then flip it back over to finish. about 45 min total.  165 degrees. its the best.   i did two 5 pounders on large egg had room around sides for a bunch of portabellas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I keep reading about spatchcock - but not sure what it is.   I need to investigate.

Cookin in Texas
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options

theres a lot of info online on how to do it.  i juust take big knife and stick it thru chicken legs up and cut it, then spread it open.add some dry rub stick in fridge for a while  then put it on the grate.

• trevorst
    Options
    you have to spatchcock a chicken on egg direct heat at about 375 i leave mine skin up for most of cook but flip it 3/4 thru to get skin nice an crisp then flip it back over to finish. about 45 min total.  165 degrees. its the best.   i did two 5 pounders on large egg had room around sides for a bunch of portabellas

Depends what you want. Your method produces a great grilled/roasted chicken.
    On the other hand 250 with good smoke produces a great moist smoked chicken.
    Skin is rubber and a throw away, but chicken is to die for....
    Both good, just different.
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options

I keep reading about spatchcock - but not sure what it is.   I need to investigate.

Check Naked Whiz website..pictures and full explanation.  My family demands it cooked like this now.