Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Which came first - the chicken or the egg

boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,261
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

In my case, it was the egg, but followed shortly by the most delicious chicken I have ever tasted.

New to the forum, just got a LGE for christmas.  First I want to thank all of the posters for everything I learned during my research.   I thought this was the direction I wanted to go, reading through the experiences on here confirmed it.

I have had a couple of smokers in the past - and gas grills.   Nothing compares to the LGE in my mind.    Well, will use the gas grill for occaisonal overflow - but I am definately an EggHead. 

So far:

Chicken   Excellent

Ribs        Mediocre

Butt         Excellent

Sausage  Excellent

Pizza       to die for...

Look forward to learning and contributing in any way I can....

boatbum

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• jscarfojscarfo Posts: 287
    you have to spatchcock a chicken on egg direct heat at about 375 i leave mine skin up for most of cook but flip it 3/4 thru to get skin nice an crisp then flip it back over to finish. about 45 min total.  165 degrees. its the best.   i did two 5 pounders on large egg had room around sides for a bunch of portabellas
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,261

I keep reading about spatchcock - but not sure what it is.   I need to investigate.

Cookin in Texas
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 287

theres a lot of info online on how to do it.  i juust take big knife and stick it thru chicken legs up and cut it, then spread it open.add some dry rub stick in fridge for a while  then put it on the grate.

• you have to spatchcock a chicken on egg direct heat at about 375 i leave mine skin up for most of cook but flip it 3/4 thru to get skin nice an crisp then flip it back over to finish. about 45 min total.  165 degrees. its the best.   i did two 5 pounders on large egg had room around sides for a bunch of portabellas

Depends what you want. Your method produces a great grilled/roasted chicken.
    On the other hand 250 with good smoke produces a great moist smoked chicken.
    Skin is rubber and a throw away, but chicken is to die for....
    Both good, just different.
  • I keep reading about spatchcock - but not sure what it is.   I need to investigate.

Check Naked Whiz website..pictures and full explanation.  My family demands it cooked like this now.