Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Charcoal Concerns and a Question ....

JimcamelJimcamel Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've owned my BGE for a year now ... it's my only cooker in Florida so I am kinda committed to it.  We use it almost every day.  At home I use a gas Weber and a Traeger ... but for here, it's all about the BGE and I really want to perfect my skills on it.

But I am still struggling with the charcoal issue.  I think I've settled on Royal Oak (orange bag..which I can get quite cheaply @ Walmart)...but I am still bugged by problems I have with BGE's product; I still have one un-opened bag left.  Each time I use IT my food tastes like soot/coal-oil.  I preheat, wait for the smoke to go away, (20-30 mins) set a temp - and each time it tastes awful.  I have NOT found this with the Royal Oak.  I have sifted both products to get rid of the coal dust; followed all the instructions I can to start (I use electric), I clean the ash area frequently, etc.  So - is there something I don't get ?  ...because the BGE product is supposed to be the best.  I got better results with Cowboy.  I mean if that's it, I can dump my last bag of BGE in next week's trash and just use the Royal Oak - but I am thinking there's still something fundamental I don't understand ... so I'd appreciate any feedback y'all might have to improve my fire skills.

thanks, jc

Jim Camelford
My BGE is in Florida ... my other stuff is in Canada
I love BBQ and learning about it
And, oh yeah, I also do photography

Comments