Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A buddy has presented me with a recently shot, now frozen, wild turkey. I have never cooked one, however, I have cooked numerous non-wild turkeys. Can anyone tell me if this bird should be prepared, cooked, or treated differently in any way due to its wild nature? The bird seems much leaner & less slovenly than the usual turkey. I am thinking it will be dryer & tougher as a result. I typically brine for 24 hours, salt, pepper and butter the bird, add some aromatics to the cavity, cook indirect at about 350, & use pecan chips. Help!

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Zippy,
    I usually grab it off the shelf, pay the guy behind the counter, hide it at home to keep it from the kids, pour over ice and enjoy. Never tried it with pecan chips...... But, that's just me
    Dave

• Zippy,
    Gotta agree with CampCook... Wild Turkey, Old Grand Dad,
    Makers Mark.. All Good.[p]OK... No experience with wild game but brining would probably
    help since it's lean. Keep track of internal temps and
    hopefully, someone with a little experience will post. Gotta
    get a some ice...

• grEGG
    grEGG Posts: 19
    Zippy,[p]
    I have cooked wild turkey two or three times. I have given up. The best way to eat wild turkey is to season it cut it in strips and fry it(very good). It is just to lean and it becomes very rubbery as it is cooked on the grill. [p]Let me know if your have better luck than I have had.

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Zippy,
    The hardest part of doing a wild turkey is getting all the feathers off/out. I have tried to pluck, but now just skin them. Probe the 'shot' holes and remove any feathers that have been impacted into the meat.[p]Thoroughly rinse the bird. pat dry. Season with your favorite rub or just use plain salt & pepper then Wrap the bird with bacon. This is important, especially since you have removed the skin. Remember that most of the bord will be dark meat, so if you like white meat, you will be disappointed.[p]Once wrapped in bacon, cook as you would any turkey. I cook at 325 uncovered, indirect on an inverted plate setter until internal hits 171 in the thigh.[p]Enjoy!
    Banker John