Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone In Vrs. Boneless

mudpuppy45
mudpuppy45 Posts: 21
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
How much does cook time vary for say a 5lb. butt bone in vrs. boneless?
Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I've never noticed any difference.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Not near enough to get rid of the bone.

Fat first and bone second for flavor.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Not sure which is more important ... time difference ... nothing to note!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394

Amen!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    Bone adds no flavor. It's the meat and fat around the bone which are flavorful, but you have to eat them. If you cooked a bone in steak, and moments before serving, cut off the bone, that steak would have no more flavor than one cooked boneless.

Flavor doesn't magically creep into the meat from the bone during the cook. But if you eat the meat between the bones, that's damn good stuff. Any time i cook a rib roast, i trim the bones off before slicing, and save them for myself. Better than the steak itself. But not because of the bone, because of the meat and fat around the bone
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    I can tell you how long it takes for a 7.5 bone in tomorrow. Well in 20 degree Fahrenheit temps with 30+ mile an hour winds that is......started at7:30 pm. Winter classic NHL game meal!
  • Thanks all of you for your comments.  My original question was basicly, Does it take any longer cooking time to cook meat with a bone vrs. boneless.  I did cook a 5 lb. bone in butt today, kept the temp at 250 degrees, and after 9 hours took it off. IT WAS WONDERFUN!!!  Thanks all.
    Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE
  • stike
    Good luck on the roast. You'll be fine. It's an easy, classic cook with a huge payoff against a minimal effort. Enjoy it

The thread took a fork, but to get back to your question: no appreciable difference in cook time that i have noticed between bone-in/boneless. Most of mine have been boneless though
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Well my butt turned out good but I mistakenly set my temp at grill level. Averaged 270 grill temp. Started at 7:45 pm. Hit 198 at 5 am. Got done too early, wrapped it put it in the cooler. Still warm at 1 pm, tasted great. Rub was dizzy dust and pecan, apple wood smoke, bone suckin sauce. First tome with bone suckin sauce, very good.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bone adds no flavor. It's the meat and fat around the bone which are flavorful, but you have to eat them. If you cooked a bone in steak, and moments before serving, cut off the bone, that steak would have no more flavor than one cooked boneless. Flavor doesn't magically creep into the meat from the bone during the cook. But if you eat the meat between the bones, that's damn good stuff. Any time i cook a rib roast, i trim the bones off before slicing, and save them for myself. Better than the steak itself. But not because of the bone, because of the meat and fat around the bone
    Stike are you saying that the only time bones add flavor is boiled?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    No

Just saying a bone doesnt somehow transmit flavor across the meat. Just that the meat around and between the bone has "more flavor" because it is rib meat and fat. THAT is the flavor which is missing when the bones are trimmed off.

Take a seven bone rib eye. Cut it in half. Leave one bone in, then cut the bones off the other half. Cook both.

Take a forkful of meat off of each from the side opposite the bones. Does anyone actually believe the meat tastes differently because the bones were attached?

Now, take some meat from around the bones of the bone-in chunk, and that stuff is fantastic. Sadly, that meat was trimmed off the other hunk before cooking. Still, leaving that meat there when bone-in doesnt do anything to flavor the rest of the meat. It's just the fact that it is there to eat that makes a difference

• No difference with time. Cooked an 8 lbs boneless butt two days ago in 13.5 hrs. Cooked an 8 lbs bone in butt a couple monts ago in 13 hrs.  There was no noticible difference in the two.  Hope this helps. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Here is an interesting link about bone and flavor:http://www.tendergrassfedmeat.com/2010/04/30/beautiful-nutritious-delicious-bones/

Muddpuppy45 have you cooked that butt yet?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • stike
    @austinegghead.
    alas, most of that is pure BS or repeated hearsay.

friend of a friend of a friend.

"Bone marrow is released into the meat during the cooking process, making the meat more nutritious and sweeter."

seriously?

i will pay a thousand bucks to the first person who can reliably and repeatedly determine which chunk of steak was cooked bone-in vs. boneless.  of course, he (or she) must agree to pay me the same if he is wrong