Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Filet

70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to touch base with my Christmas Filet results.  My wife and I host both Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  We have a lot of food.  Lasagna, smoked ham, capon, filet, peirogies and a ton of sides.  I got a nice whole filet from Sam's and cut it in half, one for each day.  The one I cooked on Christmas Eve was a little better than Christmas day, I believe due to my prep.  I read early last year about heavily salting red meat.  The article I read actually was recommending 'coating' the meat with salt, letting it sit for an hour or so, then rinsing it off and re-seasoning before the cook.  I adjusted that a little and just heavily salt.  About 3x what I would normally use along with my normal other herbs and spices.  It has worked very well and if done right, really flavors the meat throughout.  Anyway, on Christmas eve day, I heavily salted, granulated garlic, fresh ground pepper, and fresh rosemary and let it sit on the counter for 3-4 hours before the cook.  I put it on the egg at 400*, indirect and opened the vents when the internal hit about 110* to get a nice crust.  Pulled it off at 125* and let it rest before slicing.  It was THE BEST filet I've ever made, according to my guests.  One took the (empty) platter after it was served and sopped up all the juice with my homemade bread.  I didn't have the same amount of time on Christmas day.  Followed the same seasoning process, but only had about 1.5 hours out of the fridge.  It was good, but the seasoning didn't get as deep due to the shorter timeframe.  Just something to mess with if you weren't already aware.  Happy New Year!

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have been salt brining for over a year and really like the results. Poultry does well also. I salt and season the meat and set in fridge overnight. Good eats.

Cold 50 and sunny. Needed to dig the coat out of the closet.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !