Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use cast iron grate 100%?

Options
andursun0013
andursun0013 Posts: 21
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody use their cast iron grate for 100%the of theit cooks? I switch mine in and out depending on what I am cooking right now.

I'm thinking about using the porcelain grate to make a 2 tier rack but would deem the CI graye for everyday use.

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Hung my porcelain grate in the garage the day I got the CIG's and haven't looked back -- that was 2+ years ago.

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I only use mine if I want grill marks and a nice sear. I have a small that I use in my spider on my large and a large that I use on my spider on my XL. Other than that  I use the procelain.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    Always use my CI grate, I may change to using a SS grate doe Pizzas
  • Jimcamel
    Options
    I use my CI grate all the time ... that way I can keep it oiled, and non-rusty.  Not much sticks to it as long as I use some PAM liberally on it.  I do have my porcelain, but I have found these develop rust spots over time*, so I might just as well stay with my CI.   

*that's my experience with regular gas bbq's - not BGE - on gas bbq's I prefer 3/8" ss rod grills - never rust
    Jim Camelford My BGE is in Florida ... my other stuff is in Canada I love BBQ and learning about it And, oh yeah, I also do photography
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    I've been thinking of doing this as well. Are there any cons to using CI all the time?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I only have a CI grate for my small but keep it in there all the time. I use the sharp edge on steaks and the flat edge on most other cooks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I've been thinking of doing this as well. Are there any cons to using CI all the time?

I find it is heavy and the SS works fine. Have two that I do not use. For some reason I would have to to move it and move something all at the same time. The SS just works better for me.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.