Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick start

jkd
jkd Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed several on here that mention the weed burner from Harbor Freight is the fastest way to start the charcoals. I checked the other day and the one I saw uses a full size propane tank. Does anyone know if this sounds like the right one and if so Is there an adaptor that will allow you to use one of the smaller propane bottles? If not is there a recommendation on a burner/torch that does use the smaller bottle? Thanks in advance. jkd

Comments

• Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117

The Map torch works great, and it uses the smaller bottle.  I havent seen an adapter that goes the way you are asking, we sell ones that convert a grill that uses the small tank to the larger tank.  Call one of your local gas supply stores and they can set you up.

• I have this:

http://www.bernzomatic.com/newsroom/bernzomatic-quickfire-torch.aspx

And have been extremely satisfied with it.

BTW, your handle "JKD" - are those initials, or are you talking about Jeet Kune Do? I took that for a couple years and really enjoyed it.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • jkd
    jkd Posts: 2
    Just initials. Thanks for the help.
  •  You may also want to see if you can find a looflighter.  http://looftlighter.com/

It is similar to an electric starter but also has a small blower/fan that I find helps get it started rather quickly.  I have used a bernzomatic torch but feel the loof is faster personally.

I picked mine up at my local Ace Hardware for $80
  • Canary
    Canary Posts: 37
    I have the same question as the OP. My brother bought the Harbor Freight torch for me. But I don't own a propane tank. Adapters available for use with smaller portable tanks? Should I seek alternatives?

If Canary can do it you can too!
  • I use the weed burner. When I ran out of has I used my smaller propane torch paper towels with olive oil and chimney starter. I got the tank refilled. The weed burner is the best and fastest easy to light the fire.

But use what you like. My kids tell me I have the most fun lighting it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263

We use (and love!) the MAP gas torch.  It seems to last FOREVER and is very quick/convenient.

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    What makes the Looftlighter different from a plain heat gun ?
  • I used a torch until I found the Guru Golf Club 5 In 1 BBQ Tool - Flame Spreader from BBQ Guru.  Uses a small propane bottle.  Stick it in the lump and leave for a minute or two.  Good to go.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012

Is this what you are calling a full size tank? They make a half size to this, but why? I am guessing this will last forever on a fill up. Just for the record I do use a Mapp on the Mini (now).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I keep my egg in the garage. I use a small piece of fire starter the I use my compressor to blow a little air on it. It gets up to any temp in no time. Also if you want fire bigger after you start cookin I put air nozzle thru grate or along side plate setter and it's blazing in no time
  • I'd second the loof burner.. It works great and is as fast or faster than a torch.  Also find it handy for stoking the fire a bit by putting it in the bottom vent to send a 30 second burst of hot wind through the fire. 
    -
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I used a chimney starter last night and it was only minutes before two sheets of newspaper had that canister of charcoal glowing. Then I just dumped it into our large BGE and a few minutes later we were at 400F. Kinda hard to complain about that!

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    The connection for a 20 lb tank is the same as a 40 or 50lb tank. It doesn't require a regulator.  A 20 lb tank is the size tank normally used for a propane gas grill.

I use a propane torch and bought it at Harbor freight also.  Great tool for getting the lump going fast.  Also handy for heating other stuff up, like getting the old tape off your golf clubs when you replace the grips.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)