Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Tier Alternative

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I really like the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System from ceramicgrillworks.com, but $125 is a little steep.  There has got to be an easier / cheaper way to produce the same item.  Ideas?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• I really like the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System from ceramicgrillworks.com, but $125 is a little steep.  There has got to be an easier / cheaper way to produce the same item.  Ideas?
    "easier / cheaper" way = another grid & a couple fire bricks to place between the grids - works for me (but then I also use a balled up piece of aluminum foil to clean my grid, as opposed to those expensive "grill brushes" which don't work as well). 

Sometimes, simpler is better ;)

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    But with the bricks, how do you access the food on the lower grid, like chicken wings or burgers?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • They are using laser cut plate that acts a lot like CI. If they used traditional SS or porcelain coated racks it would be significantly cheaper. However, I wouldn't trade mine for the traditional racks for two reasons. First, the CGW racks are easy to clean, heat and run a grill brush on it and it's clean. I have had no issues of food sticking to the racks regardless of cooking temps. It a helps with a good sear and will last longer than porcelain coated racks. Like most things, you get what you pay for. I also debated on spending the $150 on mine (I bought mine in the spring when they first came out.) but once you pull it out of the box, you don't feel cheated. The rack is very well constructed and with the different setup possibilities, I would buy one again even at the $150.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 with phathog03-heard about CGW while self-debating the AR from CGS-went with the CGW rig primarily for the variable height and ease of access, solid construction is another plus.  Haven't looked back-to each is own but this setup is worth a look; www.ceramicgrillworks.com
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canary
    Canary Posts: 37
    Might want to check this out. Pretty innovative and inexpensive.

If Canary can do it you can too!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I like the idea, maybe could you go a bit longer bolt? Sometimes simple is better. Thanks for the tip.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Ive been using soup cans, lol.
  • It's all about convenience and functionality and the 2 tier offers both +1 to lousubcap and phathog, I've had mine since March, I don't use anything else other than a plate setter, and now I can even do 2 pizzas at the same time . I considered the bolts method but you still can't access things safely or quickly for that matter. I give the 2 tier a major thumbs up.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    No swing but I went with the cheap round 18" grill, 3 -6" bolts, assortment of nuts and washers and built a 3 legged removable version. $12.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited January 2012
    But with the bricks, how do you access the food on the lower grid, like chicken wings or burgers?
    With a pair of welding (or other high temp gloves), I just grab the top grid like I'm picking up a casserole dish, pick it up off the bricks, set it on another set of bricks I have laying beside the Egg, do whatever I need to do to the food on the bottom (flip, baste, etc), then reverse the actions & put the grid back on the bricks inside the Egg. 

Depending on what you need to do to the food on the bottom grid, you're talking about only 30 or so seconds that the top grid is off & out of the Egg... but make sure you have a place to put the grid, otherwise you'll end up dropping it cuz the heat travels through the welding gloves in just a few seconds - don't ask me how I know, but I found that out the HARD way by grabbing the plate setter one time & NOT having a convenient place already figured out where to put it!!!!  :(

Attached you can see how I did it on a previous cook w/ chicken breasts on the bottom grid, and corn on the top (notice the setup also doesn't interfere w/ my temp probe for the chicken)

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee