Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Temperature control

edeloachedeloach Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my first rack of spare ribs. I thought I had my temperature stabalized at 250 degrees. Temperature stayed at 250 for about 40 minutes. I placed two racks of spare ribs into my large green egg. After placing the ribs on the temperature dropped as expected. However, after an hour and a half the temperature climbed to only 210 degrees. I thought the temperature was supposed to stablize to 250 after about an hour. Am I doing something wrong? I ended up adjusting the bottom and top vents to get it to 250. I'm a newbie, just want to make sure i'm doing things correctly. Any suggestions please??? If I don't figure this temp thing out I will use my Auber temp control device on a permanent basis.
·

Comments

• Edeloach I can't help you but also have a temp control question. I cooked my first on the BGE tonight it was pizza but had trouble holding over 500 degrees past two pizzas with no cover and bottom wide open. Did I not start with enough coal? Filled about an inch above vent holes.
    ·
  • Piganytime, you probably didn't have enough coal in the egg. When I fill up the firebox I have no trouble maintaining over 500.
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    Always start with a full load ... I made the same mistake "once"
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·