Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone wok

Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in Acemart Restaurant Supply last week and came upon a wok display, but no woks. I did the what the heck and ordered a 16 inch online for less than $20, delivered. It's seems very sturdy. I seasoned it today, (Looks like it needs to be cleaned to me!). [p]I built a 15 inch stainless ring to hold it in a large egg. In the ring, the wok's top sits about 1.5 inches above the fire ring and has about 1 inch of space all around between the wok and the fire ring. The wok is 5 inches deep as is the fire ring, so you can get an idea how far off the fire box the wok sits. Should have ample air flow. [p]I thought I'd take it to TX Eggfest, but have no clue what to cook in it to take advantage of the egg's smoking abilities. Any suggestions? [p]wokring.jpg[p]wokinegg.jpg

Comments

• Sandbagger,[p]I have a couple of 24" Weber woks. My experience with using them to stir fry over charcoal is it took 10 lbs of charcoal to get a hot enough fire to cook for 30 seconds. Smoke is the last thing you want when stir-frying. With the Weber Kettle's removable lid, I was able to move around 360* to avoid getting the drifting smoke plume in my eyes.[p]I use a gas wok burner for my outside stir frying. Too much mess and smell to do it indoors.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Sandbagger,
    Woks are designed to cook very hot and very fast; so they don't take advantage of smokiness.[p]Because of that, I'd recommend squid (hey, Chris! Tell the man about squid.), strips of chicken or pork, and veggies.[p]Ken

• Sandbagger,
    a couple of us used woks at the waldorf eggfest this past weekend. .[p]wessb sits his on top of his plate setter and does his egg concoction in it. ..[p]i set mine up with the fire ring sitting directly on the cooking grid, then the wok in the ring....i lit a full load of lump right in the center....i cooked beef tenderloin hash in it with great results (stick of butter and half cup or so of veggie oil in the wok till butter was melted. . .threw in about 4 large potatoes cut up into small cubes, a large cut up onion, salt and pepper. . . .kept this stirring around in the wok for about 10 - 15 minutes till the potatoes started to get soft. .then added about a pound of cut up left over egged beef tenderloin, kept it all going till the taters started to crisp).. . .it was delicious. .kept the lid of the egg closed, opening it every 5 minutes or so to give the hash a good toss and stir around the egg. .. [p]so you see, you can use a wok for all kinds of things in the egg, and some foods really get helped by a little smoke flavor. ...

• Sandbagger
    rexmo, I am thinking vegatables to finish off a meal. For example, TRex at 700, finish at 400, then 700 or so, again with veggies. It's one idea.

• Sandbagger
    mad max beyond eggdome, check your email. Tom
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Sandbagger,
    Interesting setup. Do you have a pair of heavy leather gloves for lifting the wok? Looks like your serious about this. Are you going to cook dome up or down?[p]Some ideas; Chicken tenders with onion in teriyaki sauce. Pork rib meat,fat removed and sliced with vegetables in tamari sauce. Steak tendrloin with garlic and soy sauce. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.........[p]Caution, oil is hot enough to flair up, and this is where wok cooking gets tricky. Others might want to add to this word of caution. I recommend peanut oil-better able to take high temps. Experiment with controlling the fire to start out. Wok cooking is hot stuff (real wok cooking) and the egg is NOT designed for open, wok style cooking-dome up. But---nothing is impossible. Wok cooking opens up fantastic eating possibilities. Just play it safe, read about wok cooking, start out slowly and work your way up. Check out Kikkoman products.
    Good luck. P.S. It's none of my business but... please be careful and cook on the side of caution. :o)

Clay[p]

• Sandbagger
    Clay Q, thanks for the cautionary words of wisdom and the peanut oil suggestion. My thought is to use it more like a pan until I get comfortable with it, using oil only to prevent sticking. By limiting the open area between the wok and fire ring, I hopefully will have better control over flashes. I have a pair of welders gloves that I use with my MIG welder. The holder was simple to make. Tom

• Sandbagger
    BlueSmoke,I have a high school buddy living in Seattle. Maybe he can hook me up with one of those slightly larger squid types Puget Sound is noted for. If so, I'll need a bigger wok and XL egg. LOL Tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Sandbagger,
    ive been thinking of making some modifications for using a pealla pan in the egg, but it might work better for a wok. a solid plate with an 8 inch hole on center, would work like a platesetter but in reverse, concentrating the heat up the middle. as ClayQ mentioned, peanut oil, and i use grape seed oil for high heat also. with the hole you would also need a wok ring with the side vents

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sandbagger
    fishlessman, the bottom of this wok is 1.5 inches higher than the bottom of the fire ring. That puts it about 3 inches or less off a reasonably loaded firebox. I am hoping that is close enough to the lump for stable heat absorption by the wok. The only other thing in the egg is the ring holdng the wok. This 16 inch wok will sit directly on the fire ring, but I thought that would snuff out the lump, (no air movement) thus the idea of the holder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Sandbagger,
    i think it depends on how you intend to use the wok. if your cooking at high heat, i think that you need to concentrate the heat at the bottom and probably keep the dome open. the wok cook is fast and you have to stay with it and work relatively fast or things burn.also its nice that the sides are cooler for moving foods out of the hot spot. thats my experience using a wok burner and im relatively new to it. if your using it as a big pan and want even heat throughout, i think it will be fine, but i think you may have to use it at lower temps, maybe 500 or less. watch out for the flashbacks as they will be forced to the outer rim and out

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Boy was it good! Glad to get the recipe (again), I knew I would not remember. Thanks. See you next year.