Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to forum/new Egg owner

Options
Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hi All-

I am the proud new owner of a Large Egg and lots of cool stuff to go with it....Ceramic Grill Store's adjustable rig with the spider, 16" pizza stone, Maverick thermometer...

Thanks already for all the great info I've read over the past few days...I've learned a ton. Any specific advice for a first cook? I have nothing planned yet as the family is away for the weekend, but I was planning on firing it up tomorrow just to play around with the temperature control and get a feel for the thing...I'll have to cook something on it though so the charcoal isn't a total waste...

I'll be sure to report how the day goes and post any questions that come up along the way!

Mighty_Quinn

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I would do a pork loin. Lower temp so it will help secure the gasket and cheap meat so if something goes wrong.....

Welcome.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I was thinking something along those lines or maybe was gonna grill a few chops later in the day once I spent some time learning to control and maintain the lower temperature ranges...then crank the heat up to grilling and searing temps. We'll see...I'm guessing it might go something like I get it hot to begin with and then have to wait for it to cool down to the lower temps. Isn't that how everyone's first time goes?
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I got my egg with two cooks on it so I'm not sure but I thought others have trouble with their gaskets falling off with higher heat and the first cook or two until the gasket got good and stuck.

Next thing you know, you will be up all night posting about your overnight 20 hour cooks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2011
    Options

IMO guys do not worry about the gaskets as they WILL come off. I am in the camp "so what" and cook on 3 eggs w/o gaskets. You have 50% who replace so : pick one (I am lazy and it works w/o so......)

The next major step you have is to find an EggFest and go.You will learn more in an afternoon than a month here (as you can tell by now a month here is = to 6+ months on your own).

One last advice on early cooks is that burgers and hotdogs are so much better on the egg, do them for the family.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Mickey is correct.  The stock gasket is crap IMO.  I installed a Rutland gasket on mine after frying the original cooking a pizza.  I've never looked back.  I do stil have the orginal on my mini but never get it above 500.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Yep...It's been posted by many to pick up either a Nomex or Rutland high heat gasket once the factory one goes. Either of these should be fine?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Ok a couple more questions....

Do people seem to prefer the adjustable rig setup with the spider and 13" stone for indirect from the Ceramic Grill Store or the plate setter? I have both and feel that is being a redundant. Should I return one, or I will use each enough to warrant keep both?

Cover.....is one necessary?

Thanks-
    MQ
  • talltrevor
    Options
    I don't use a cover.  I find things can stay damp under a cover if there is any moisture in there at all.  I'm not sure if I'm right or not but I do the same thing with my motorbike....I'd rather it get wet than dry off in the sun and wind...then get damp and stay that way.

I love my egg.
  • 2CanQ
    2CanQ Posts: 14
    Options
    I am a purest and use BGE products, the BGE Plate setter is all you should need.  You can put the Plate Setter in legs up or legs down depending on what you are wanting to do.  For your Pizza stone use the Plate Setter legs Down and use the 3 feet that came with your Large then put the feet on top of the Plate Setter and then set your Pizza stone on top of those so you will have an air space.  For most everything you cook all you will need is the BGE Plate Setter for indirect or just the grate setting on your fire ring for direct cooking.  Most of all have fun and start cooking everything and see what ways you like best.
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    I would see if your dealer has cooking classes. Mine has class every Tuesday night
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2011
    Options

Ok a couple more questions.... Do people seem to prefer the adjustable rig setup with the spider and 13" stone for indirect from the Ceramic Grill Store or the plate setter? I have both and feel that is being a redundant. Should I return one, or I will use each enough to warrant keep both? Cover.....is one necessary? Thanks- MQ
    I used the adjustable rig and spider w/stones. Have platesetters for both large and small that are not used and if i could send back and get refund or credit I would. Just me..... Also I am in the do not cover club.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Thanks.....yeah, I feel like the adjustable rig with the stones and spider is more versatile than the place setter. I'll probably take the place setter back to the dealer and get the small cast iron grid for searing on the spider just above the coals.
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    Thanks.....yeah, I feel like the adjustable rig with the stones and spider is more versatile than the place setter. I'll probably take the place setter back to the dealer and get the small cast iron grid for searing on the spider just above the coals.
    I would do exactly that. I have the platesetter and I am in the process of ordering the adjustable rig. Platesetter is nice but the problem I'm running into is a lack of grid space. The Adjustable Rig allows you to expand a little more. Depending on how it works out I'll probably be selling my platesetter on craigslist or something. My be good to keep around just for pizza though. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    With the spider/adjustable rig, I'll put the 13" stone in the spider for indirect and then use the 16" stone I have on the adjustable rig grid at felt level....no need for the place setter for pizza...unless someone advises me otherwise.