Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger styles

Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been asked to cook burgers on the egg with a twist. I have been asked to make an unusual burger, with no guidelines on what or how. Can someone please help.[p]I've seen posts to cook burgers slow at about 275 for longer periods rather than the 600 degree method I usually end up doing. How does this work? I think it was Campcook that suggested it one time, don't remember :([p]Your suggestions and help are appreciated![p]Banker John

Comments

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Banker John,[p]Since colagen isn't an issue in burgers, I'd think the slow cook would give you two things, first a more uniform color in the finished burger. If you're shooting for a medium rare, for example, the well done "envelope" around the burger will be smaller and the medium rare area bigger. This is important to me in a rib roast, but don't think it's a big issue with a burger. The second issue is that it may have a stronger smoke taste. This is personal taste too. I for one, do not like the heavy smoke taste, and pick my charcoal to accommodate my tastes. I'd shoot for about 400 - 450 for a burger... so now you have a third option.

As to what you can do different, I guess the biggest option is to fill them. Fillings are up to your imagination, and the tastes of those you're cooking for. Carmelized onions, mushrooms, cheese other veggies are all options. Lastly, you could mix flavors right into the meat. I've seen all kinds of seasonings, raw and cooked onions, bread crumbs, ketchup, etc. The downside of mixing flavors into the meat is that you can change the texture. I like my burger handled as little as possible. Breadcrumbs can tend to hold more juice which is a good thing, for a picnic. Could be rather messy for a formal get together....

You've got tons of options ;)

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Banker John,[p]get with "Snoopy Doggy Dog" and ask about the okie bugers. Really great. I think he did them at one of the Atlanta Eggfest, and it was a hit. [p]
  • Charles in SC
    Charles in SC Posts: 142
    Banker John,
    Personally I think it is a sin to mix stuff with hambuger meat but what you could do is have the meat standing by with the stuff on the side and let folks mix what they want,dry onion soup mix is popular around here.
    I was at a cookout the other week and the guys that were doing the burgers were doing them so hot that they were having to spray the patties with Pam so they did not stick.
    They were using two big commercial gassers and cooking for about 300. The fire was so hot that they were having to constantly water spray the grease fires to put them out. Needless to say the burgers were burned into trash but it was festive to watch.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Banker John,
    I make my burgers stuffed with broccoli and blue cheese. I buy ground chuck, and estimate 1/2 lb per person. The stuffing part is easy. Just take 1/2 of the meat and flatten it out on a plate so it is about 3/4 inches thick. Take the chopped broccoli and crumbled blue cheese and form a second layer and press into the meat. Then take the other 1/2 of the meat and form a top layer and press together.[p]I then cut the burgers pie style and form them closing off the ends, so the stuffing doesnt fall out. Rub with whatever. I vary the rub quite a bit.[p]I grill direct at 350 on a raised grid. Takes about 15-20 minutes.[p]You can vary the stuffing with anything, but this combo works best for us. As for me, each bite gets 2 drops of tabasco![p]Scott

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    I have tried a number of different heats but am currently using about 350 degrees, direct, grid even with the rim and lid closed. About 12 minutes per side and take off about 170-175 (Well done) 6 to 8oz frozen patties.[p]It would probably be about the same times for an open lid.[p]Not saying this is the best way, just something that works for me. [p]Toy Man
  • Banker John
    Charles in SC,
    I don't think I want hockey pucks, which is what I am picturing from your description of the non egg cooker torching the meat.[p]
    Banker JOhn

• Banker John
    Borders,
    I like the general guidelines you give. I don't have any broccoli or blue cheese in the house now, but... I'm raiding the fridge and will use the technique you mentioned.[p]I'm thinking a slice of tomato and crushed garlic on the internal with dizzy dust on the external. Try cooking at about 300 with lite cherry smoke[p]Thanks for the ideas.
    Banker John

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Banker John, I cooked burgers following Dads Delicious Big Green Burger recipe and they were very good and moist. Now for a twist my wife and I went to a little burger joint last night, I had a bacon peanut butter burger. They just put P.B. on both buns. The burger also had red onion and tomato and thick sliced smoked bacon. Strange but tasty, I would do it again.
    [ul][li]http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/beef/beef0031.htm[/ul]
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Banker John, I am not sure who it was that suggested the low temperature burger cook, but I tried some 1/2 pounders at 225 degrees for 45 mins this weekend and they were the best ever! More smoke, more flavor, and a lot more juicy than the high temperature method. I did them indirect and added hickory...

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Banker John,[p]I make all my hamburgers using a version of "cat's" Eggfest meatloaf recipe. [p]I cook at 300 degrees indirect ( never flip ) 30 to 40 minutes with about 2 chuncks of hickory for smoking. I do mix pecan in sometimes. I never go direct anymore with burgers since I found this method.[p]The burgers are a favorite and go fast......can't go wrong with this one.
    [ul][li]Eggfest Meatloaf[/ul]
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Banker John,
    Sorry I couldn't reply quicker. We are on the road again and only get to my e-mail when we find a campsite with WiFi -- what is this world coming to?[p]Any way, I was among several that suggest slow cooking burgers. Found the idea in a smoker book. Only way we do burgers unless we a re in a real hurry. In any event, I always start slow and add heat if I get behind.[p]As to fillers, someone else on the forum suggested blue cheese and onions. I've started doing this to great reviews. Just flatten the patty, spread on the filler, fold and then roll into a new patty. Don't over do the patty work or they will become tough.
    Good Luck, Dave