Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt for New Years Day

LukeD
LukeD Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
My family always has a big get together on new years day and we typically all bring loads of food
I want to do a Pork butt on my egg this year. It will be my first try at this but I am pretty confident in cooking low and slow
I figure I will do a overnight cook
the problem is I have a 2 hr drive to the place where we will be
Any suggestions on transporting
will i need to reheat, should i bring a slow cooker with me to keep it warm to serve in
or should i wrap it up whole and shred it when we get there
thanks for any tips

Luke

Comments

• Wrap whole in a couple of layers of heavy duty foil.  Place a towel or two in the bottom of a small cooler, Wrap the butt in a towel..place in the cooler with a towel or two on top of it.  It will still be ready to pull a couple of hours later.

Personally, I would wait to pull.  I think its best served as soon as it is pulled.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 on bluegrasstiger's plan-just cook like you plan and then use the transport as the "rest time". Will turn out great-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I had to do the same thing this summer. The butt was done the wife wasn't home yet and a 2 hour drive. it ended up being 5-1/2 hours wrapped in foil and 2 bath towels in a cooler. the pork was still hot, to hot to pull with bare hands. I was surprised it was hot and moist.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Like they all said ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Like Squeezy said.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • LukeD
    LukeD Posts: 3
    Any recommendations for a good BBQ sauce recipe to go with the pork
  • Now you are starting a whole new argument. It really depends on what you like on pulled pork.

I personally like both a thin vinegar sauce (aka eastern NC sauce) from Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible:

http://shadowcook.com/2008/07/06/steven-raichlens-north-carolina-pulled-pork-with-vinegar-sauce/

and a mustard based South Carolina sauce:

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/ble00218a.htm

The vinegar sauce is spicier and the mustard one is sweeter. I usually make both and let my guests decide. The mustard one is easily served in a squeeze bottle just like pictured in the link. The vinegar one needs a wider mouth dispenser, but one that can be shaken or stirred, as the red pepper flakes get caught in the standard squeeze bottle.

The BBQ Bible recipe was the first one I followed when I made my first pulled pork and if you follow it to a T, you won't be disappointed. It changed my perception of what was possible on a grill and opened my eyes to low and slow. That's not to say it's the only way, it's just a classic example.

Don't forget the slaw...and that's yet another argument.

Gardiner Large BGE Dallas
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Tomato based sauces are good too ... I like a little of that with a vinegar based sauce and yes ... cole slaw!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Any recommendations for a good BBQ sauce recipe to go with the pork
    Just make sure everyone tries some without sauce first...it's so good off of the BGE that folks will love it without sauce.  Choice is good though...some like it with sauce.