Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron grill grid

Options
trevorst
trevorst Posts: 64
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have seen a few different view points in the forum on this.
So What is the general opinion on the need for a Cast Iron grill to get a good sear.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Yes it will. I have one for the Large and one for the Small that I never use anymore.I like the SS from BGE so much better. In my advanced age of 106 I do not like moving the things around, never did but bought anyway. I can live w/o the grill marks just fine. Will stick with SS on all three eggs.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    The cast iron grid does give a better sear. But some of other benefits
    of the CI grate are that the grid is tighter so smaller things like
    vegetables are less likely to fall through. And finally it is two
    sided. One side is flat which is better for delicate cooks like fish.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    trevorst,  I have a CI for the small and I use it quite a bit.  I don't use it when I am cooking with SS pots or my clay pots (I don't want to clean off the grill marks from the bottom).  
    Although my advanced age of 110 is greater than Mickey's,  I must have better upper arm strength
    :)
    I also use the SS and the ceramic coated grates...it just depends on my mood and what I am cooking. 
    The down side of the CI is it is a PIA to clean, therefore I don't... just do a clean burn once in a while .  
    Also what Hungry Joe said, nothing goes thru the grate...including any smoking chips you might want to add. 
    :(
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Options

Joan I have to be the world’s worst planer. It would never fail that when I had to move the CI three other things would have to be moved at the exact same time. Just found the SS so much easier.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hogaholic
    Options
    I really like my cast iron grate.  Great grill marks for steaks and the flat side works great for Salmon
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I have been wanting to get the new SS grate, just to replace my porcelain one. I do use that when I use any cookware. As far as chips? I use chunks, they last longer so I never had the need to add more. :)>-
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    I have a CI grid, but now use my GrillGrates. Much better sear and sear marks. Plus very easy to clean and maintain. Highly recommend this over the CI grid.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I like the 13" CI and spider combo for searing on the large.  I also use the 13" CI on my small for searing and then raise it up with a Woo ring to finish.  Do you need the CI to get a good sear?  No.  But it does give you a chance to buy some wonderful new toys!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • forty_crk
    Options

help me here...I have a cast iron grid.  But what is "CI" and "SS" stand for...

New to the board but been learing on my own for 6 years w/ my BGE L

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Mickey
    Options

CI is Cast Iron

SS is Stainless Steel

• forty_crk
    Options

Gotcha..thanks Mickey

Now i feel like a dum arse

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Mickey
    Options

Gotcha..thanks Mickey

Now i feel like a dum arse

Only sir if you did not ask. This forum makes up for lots of "own your own"....

• bill_b
    bill_b Posts: 13
    Options

Oh,    I believe everybody's age...   I was born during the civil war in 1865   do I must be 146  years old....

grin :)

• trevorst
    Options
    I remember a movie called Billy Liar, you my friend fit that to a tee :-)
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options

Yes it will. I have one for the Large and one for the Small that I never use anymore.I like the SS from BGE so much better. In my advanced age of 106 I do not like moving the things around, never did but bought anyway. I can live w/o the grill marks just fine. Will stick with SS on all three eggs.

Mickey - I have a Large egg and have been looking at buying a 13" cast iron grate to pair with my spider for seering steaks.  Would you want to sell your 13" CI grate?  If so, shoot me an email at miketipton@insightbb.com.  Thanks.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY