Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashed Chicken Roll-Ups

Options
BBCause
BBCause Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try the Smashed Chicken Roll-Ups recipe tonight (the one submitted by "Boccie"). What have you all found to be the best way to smash the chicken breasts without making a big mess? Also any other suggestions regarding the recipe would be appreciated.

Comments

• DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    BBCause,
    Never cooked that particualar recipie but whenver i do chicken breast (boneless skinless) i lay them between a couple sheets of plastic wrap and pound out flat with a aluminum tenderizer mallet i have..one side is flat and the other has points on it if u want to tenderize. You can also use the bottom of a good heavy skillet if you dont have a mallet like that

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    BBCause,
    you can also put them in a ziplock bag (1 at a time) and pound with your fist or a small mallet.
    dublin

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BBCause,
    Slit a gallon-size plastic bag down both sides, open it up and lay the chicken in the center. Fold the plastic over to cover the chicken; flatten the chicken with a mallet. When you're done, just peel back the top layer of plastic. (Also good for making pork or veal cutlets.)[p]HTH[p]Ken

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    BBCause,
    What they said, unless you do not have a mallet. I have used a rolling pin, or even a bottle of wine(just be careful if you use a bottle, it could break, but it does work quite well)

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BBCause,
    If you look on the other side of the pan with the bacon wrapped watermelon rind you can see the mallet I use.
    Larry

[ul][li]Chicken Mallet[/ul]
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    BBCause,[p]Just buy chicken cutlettes in the store. Purdue packages thin sliced chicken breasts that save you time and trouble. I would highly recommend this approach!!!

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    BBCause,[p]We have an aluminum mallet, probably bought it at walmart. We place the chicken breast in a large ziplock and pound it out on a cutting board.
  • Unknown
    Options
    BBCause,
    I use a plastic cuttingboard, which I cover in plastic wrap for easy cleanup. Then I place a chix breast in the middle & cover it loosely with another layer of plastic, or two. [p]Then I smash it with the bottom of my lodge cast iron griddle. It really works great to spread the impact across the entire piece of meat. The weight of the skillet makes fast work of it too![p]Lift off the top plastic & do the next breast. great for CX Marsala, & other cutlet recipes.