Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soggy bottom Turkry

Options
Cookinupnorth
Cookinupnorth Posts: 95
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Ok so everyone loved my 12 lb turkey... But me lol
It was good 1.5 hrs at 325 then let it sit
I inverted place setter put liquid in pan and put Turkry on grilling rack
Turkey lovely and brown, breast meat moist...bottom soggy
Removed water pan and pacesetter and let bird sit on direct hear for 15 mins to brown up but dark meat had weird consistency... Felt almost like boiled meat...
Anyway...any thoughts for my next bird?

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    By putting liquid in the pan, do you think the bottom steamed more than it smoked/roasted?  That's what it sounds like to me.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Cookinupnorth
    Options
    Yes 100 percent... Any thought on how to avoid? Have you tried the inverter thingy?
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I don't know how much help I can be.  Just got my BGE Christmas.  I would skip the liquid and still use the drip pan placed underneath the grate, with the platesetter legs up.  Put the bird directley on the grate.  To avoid a dry bird, you could brine it.  Again I'm new with BGE but have been smoking for years on an offset smoker.  When using a plate setter, using offset techniques makes sense to me.  Either way you're using indirect heat.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • stevesails
    Options

For your next Bird, Try the Mad Max recipe,  you cannot go wrong,  I even used it won a whole chicke last week in a vee rack. it was perfect.  cooked breast to 162.  had cavity stuffed with apple, celery, lemon, onion. 

Didn't have any white wine though.   Problem is, i have cases of red, but no white wine in the house, other than moscato!

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Smoker_Guru
    Options
    Spatchcock the turkey, put on top the grate with drip pan (with a little water) under the grate. comes out perfict every time.
  • Cookinupnorth
    Options
    Stevesails... I hear you on the red situation ...will check out madmax recipe...cheers
    I sail a J80... Do u sail or is it your last name?
  • stevesails
    Options

we have a Catalina 34 . sail on Anchor Bay of Lake st claire. in Michigan.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Cookinupnorth
    Options
    Cool! I hear tat is. Beautiful lake... My first sailing experience was on a Catalina 22- great family boat! Happy cooking
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Hit wrong post / how do you get out without posting????????????? 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcock the turkey, put on top the grate with drip pan (with a little water) under the grate. comes out perfict every time.
    Like SG said except I cook direct and high, no drip pan. Never a problem to soggy bottom.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.