Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proper Shutdown Method

Options
joe317
joe317 Posts: 28
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Last night after cooking a pizza at 500 F, I shut down my egg the same way I've been doing it since I got it; closed the lower damper completely and put the rain cap on. Four hours later when I went to put it away I noticed it was still slightly warm (about 75 F) so I looked inside and still saw some small red embers indicating there was still some burning going on. This got me thinking that maybe the rain cap doesn't provide a good enough seal to choke off all the air to put the fire out.

Should I be using the daisy wheel instead on top when I'm done cooking? Anything else I should do?

I've done 8 cooks on my egg so far and I've almost gone through a 20 lb bag of lump. Is this normal or is my egg not completely shutting down and I've been burning excess lump? Of my 8 cooks, 2 were long ones (4 - 5 hours at 250 F).

Thanks.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you are doing it right.  if you want, give the ceramic top a spin as you put it on.  after a while, the fat6 and soot will level out and create a bit of gasket.

some have used gasket material to line the ceramic top, too.  most don't bother.

it will go out.  embers from a fireplace which otherwise look cold will still be dangerous a day later.  same for the egg.  it's essentially 'out', but don't expect is cold embers in four hours after a 500 degree cook
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

It does take a while to cool off after a high-temp cook.  You might want to try the dollar bill test to make sure the gasket is sealing properly.  About 5:30 in the video below you can see the test and adjustments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-26iwhoJAA&feature=related

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Your ceramic top on and place your daisy wheel inside when shut down works for me (has for the past 5 years). You are closing the bottom vent (right).....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The ceramic cap will generally do a better job of sealing up the Egg than the daisy wheel. 
    The Naked Whiz