Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi brand new Egg owner - Question on Burgers

Options
trevorst
trevorst Posts: 64
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hi all just got my medium egg Xmas Eve fired it up that night and let run for 4 hours at 350 but didn't cook anything, just breaking it in.
Yesterday smoked a rack of ribs at 250 for 5 hours 3 1/2 - 1 1/2 then finished on the gas grill, turned out great. I have used an electric smoker for a few years so I am pretty comfortable with low and slow. Ribs of the Egg were the best I have ever made and maintaining 250 was no problem.

Wife wants a burger tonight so any tips on cooking methods.

Thanks

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Just grill it as you would on your gasser, although a couple of times I made 1/3 lbers which I did low-n-slow to 150º internal using mesquite. Last 20 min. I added  2 slices of provolone cheese. The flavor & color was amazing and the burgers had the texture of meatloaf.

Hot-n-fast or low-n-slow ... it's all good!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I normally cook my burgers at 375 until medium. You can cook at a lot higher temp like 650 for 2 minutes a side then completely shut egg down and cook till desired temp. I used to do this but I think the burgers get a little bitter tasting from being in an egg that is completely shut down. And you better be careful when opening that egg. Burp it first.

Keep it simple, 375 till they are done. They are always juicy and have nice crust.

Why did you finish your ribs on the gasser?
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • hogaholic
    Options
    For burgers I use my cast iron grid, flat side up, oiled well so the burgers don't stick.

I like a bit of Lea and Perrins drizzled in my meat before forming it into burgers.  Don't pack the burgers, form them softly into patties. 

I like a lot of different seasonings -my favorite is Montreal steak seasoning that I have kicked up with cayenne pepper and Emeri'ls essence.

I don't run my egg wide open for burgers - more in the 500-550 range.  They don't take long I'll tell you that.  Roll a few into "hot dog burgers" for a nice change of pace.

Good melted pepper-jack or gorgonzolla cheese and your ready to go.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I agree with Hogaholic on the cast iron grate. I forgot that part because that's the only grate I've ever used. That's a must! I also have tried different things and have settled in on Webers Ultimate Burger spice.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • trevorst
    Options
    Thanks all. Take it the 350 is with the lid closed, just open to flip??
    On the gas grill I cooked open till done as it didn't sear that fast.
    I have my own spice blend that I like to use on Burgers, similar to a Montreal, we love it.
  • medic119
    Options
    That's correct trevorst.  You never cook on an egg with the lid open. Welcome to the world of eggin', I am new to the egg myself. 
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    ...then completely shut egg down and cook till desired temp. I used to do this but I think the burgers get a little bitter tasting from being in an egg that is completely shut down.
    Agreed, never a good idea. I never fully shut the egg down until I'm done using it and want to extinguish the coals.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Hi,

I've found the following tips give me the best success:
    1. Don't "over pat" the meat as you are forming the patties  - if you do, you make the meat too packed & dense, & they don't come out as well.
    2. Put a little "dimple" in the middle of the burgers to keep them from becoming "bulbous" as they cook.
    3. Use FRESH ground beef, usually about 80-20, or 85-15 - too much leaner & you'll be w/out enough fat - actually, if you have the means & time, you can grind your own:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134763
    4. Don't "smoosh" the burgers down into the grill w/ the spatula - let them breathe.  That produces too "dense" burgers & squeezes the juices out of them. 
    5. I usually get the Egg up to about 350 & put the patties on for 4 minutes, then flip & keep on for another 4 minutes - about the last 30-40 seconds I put a slice of cheese on.  All the while, the lid on the Egg is CLOSED - I ONLY open it to flip the burgers!!! 

Hopefully these tips will help you!!  Write back & let us know how they turn out!!

Best of luck!

Rob

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Egghead123SC
    Options

Guess I am different than most here.   I like the high temp sear just like on a steak.  I cook at 550 to 600, on cast iron grate, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes a side for 5 oz patty.  This gives a good exterior sear, but medium rare inside.

If you make a dimple on top side of patty about size of a silver dollar, but a little deeper, it eliminates the burger puffing up in the middle and gives you a nice final patty.

• trevorst
    trevorst Posts: 64
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Wife enjoyed her Burger!!!
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, this is how things went.

As Hillbilly mentioned I always grind my own meat for burgers (Grass Fed Chuck) added a little of my own Montreal Style seasoning. Lightly formed burgers with the dimple as I always do, let sit out on counter for an hour. Made an extra burger to test first.

Set Egg up about half filled with lump, lit with Electric wand and had a nice even glowing fire in 10 mins.
    Closed lid set lower vent to stabalise Egg at 350, then let sit for 20 mins.
    Put the extra burger on and closed lid, checked after 4 mins, no good sear and burger did not want to turn.
    Took almost 8 mins before it would turn and the sear was not where I wanted it... Took another 4 mins or so to finish other side. Tasted good but did not have the sear my wife likes.

Opened the vent and ran the Egg upto 575, stabilized for 20 mins then added the two burgers, got the nice sizzle sound, burgers turned easily after 3 mins. Closed lid and let finish for 3 mins.
    Burgers were nice and juicy with a nice sear (would have like a little more).

I don't have a cast iron grill yet and that may make a difference, but there seems to be no agreement on that.
    Also filling to the top of the fire box would reduce the distance to the heat and I'm sure that would help.

What did impress me was how fast I got a hot fire going, will make me use it for a lot more small things that I would use an oven for.

Again thanks for all our input, look forward to learning from you all.

Trevor S
  • hogaholic
    Options
    I will assure you that the cast iron grid will provide a sear that you and your wife will appreciate.  Just don't drop it or it will break (learned that the hard way).
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)