Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Technology and the Egg...

BakerMan
BakerMan Posts: 159
edited December 2011 in Off Topic

As a part-time Egger and full-time computer consultant I thought I would share what I think is a "killer app" when it comes to keeping notes and recipes for the Egg. 

I use an application from Microsoft called OneNote.  OneNote is essentially an electronic spiral notebook.  It is a great way to record and store unstructured data like recipes, cooking notes etc.  OneNote is included with several versions of Microsoft Office.  Another great benefit of OneNote is you can sync the data in your OneNote notebook on your desktop to a OneNote stored on a web site (this is the "cloud" you keep hearing about) so you can get to your data from any web browser.  Visit http://windowslive.com to sign up for a free acount or log in with a Hotmail account if you have one.  Once you sign up you will get 25Gs (a lot!) of space for free to store photos, recipes, documents etc.  If you don't have OneNote on your computer you can still use the one "in the cloud" for free.

Now here is the good part... if you have a Windows Phone or an iPhone, the OneNote notebook on your desktop, and the OneNote stored on the Internet, and the one on your phone stay in sync "automagically".  If you make a change in one place the chnage is made on all copies of your notebook.  When I am at the grocery store I can quickly check what I need for a recipe on my phone.  When I am standing out by the grill I can look something up on my phone or update my notes.  If I'm at work and want to share a recipe with a friend I can open a web browser and get to my data and photos.  The screenshot below is from one of my notebooks.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on getting setup.

Hope this helps,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"

Comments

• Thanks for the tip. Who knows this app may have some benefit at work as well?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Evernote is what I use, it has a free and premium version.  I think the difference between the free and premium version is the amount of data it will sync, for me the free version has been sufficient.

Gerhard
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Any of these work on a mac
  • BakerMan
    You can get MS Office for the Mac. Also you can connect to WindowsLive.com on your Mac with free account.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Evernote is platform agnostic, I use it on my macs, iPad and iPhone but it will also work on PCs.  You can add or edit on any device and it automatically will sync between all of the devices registered to the same user name.

Gerhard
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I've been using Dropbox for the same purpose, although it doesn't have the neat tabs that OneNote appears to have.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BakerMan
    I use OneNote for everything especially for work. I have not taken notes on paper in four years. The nice thing about OneNote is it is fully indexed (easy searching) and can store any kind of content. If you paste a photo with text in it will covert it to text.