Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin

Bluenose616B
Bluenose616B Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in Beef
About to embark on my 2nd expirence with cooking on my new large BGE. I just came from the butcher where he cut me a full beef tenderloin. He asked how I wanted it and I said I have no idea and to fix it how most would like it. So, after he cut off the "silver skin"(as h called it), and the fat. I was left with a piece of meat that looked pretty awesome. The butcher preceeded to fold the ends back on itself and tied it up like a roast every 4 inches or so. Which now brings me to the real question.............now what. Should I marinate? Should I use a rub? Do I need to sear it? What temp should I cook it with(low or high)? What do you recommend that will leave my guests saying "damn that's good"! Many thanks in advance for those who choose to answer.

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    I say use the TRex method. Season it, sear it direct at high heat (like 700) then pull it off bring the temp on the egg down to like 400 and then put the loin back on and roast till you hit 125 internal temp for mid-rare rest for 10 to 20 min and then slice and serve.

"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

You can season it anyway you want ... like your favorite steak or roast rub and Spoon is on the mark ... definitely don't cook beyond 125º internal ....

Let us know how it goes?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I third that. Even if you just do salt and pepper it will be wonderful. Just be careful of anything that might have sugar in it.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Sleev
    Sleev Posts: 6
    edited December 2011

Another option is to smear horseradish mustard all over the tenderloin.  Let sit in a plastic bag overnight in the fridge.  I use garbage bags...  Then put in a V-rack on your egg that is at around 300.  Use a platesetter, legs up, with a drip pan under the grate. Using your favorite smoking wood, let it smoke.  Internal temp to 125 is about right, maybe 130.  Curl the ends back so you have a uniform thickness all over beforehand.  You'll use about 3/4 of a jar of the mustard on a 6 pound tenderloin.  I prefer Koops by the way.

When you remove the tenderloin, let it rest a bit, and then slice.  The mustard will be black and charred just a bit, with a slight taste of horseradish, but not very much.  Horse radish haters need not worry!  The mustard seals in moisture on any meat.  Used on a lean cut like a tenderloin, keeps everything very moist.  Of course the EGG helps with moisture retention anyhow...

• Lynde
    Lynde Posts: 12

Sleev - appreciate your comments on cooking a beef tenderloin.  I was going to bring my BGE up to 400-450 to sear the tenderloin, remove the meat, insert the place-setter and bring temp down to 300 degrees.  Any rule of thumb for cooking time (10 minutes per pound?)? 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011

Any rule of thumb for cooking time (10 minutes per pound?)? 

The only rule of thumb is to always cook to temp (125-130), not to time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Lynde

ChokeOnSmoke - understand where you are coming from on the cooking to meat temperature.  Cooking for my wife's family this weekend and she'll be hounding me when to start the sides, when will it be done, you know the routine.  I'm looking at a 6-7 lb tenderloin - any ROUGH idea of the time it will take for Medium Rare cooking at a temp of 300 degrees.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    I see what you're saying.  I gotta guess about 15 minutes on the cook and another 5-10 minutes tented with foil for the rest period.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Lynde

Thanks ChokeOnSmoke - I'll keep track of temp, time and number of beers consumed.  Whereabouts in WI?  I'm originally from the Twin Cities, but been living in the South for +23 years - currently in Columbia, SC. Lakes frozen over yet?

• Thanks ChokeOnSmoke - I'll keep track of temp, time and number of beers consumed.  Whereabouts in WI?  I'm originally from the Twin Cities, but been living in the South for +23 years - currently in Columbia, SC. Lakes frozen over yet?

Oshkosh, WI.  Wish I was living in the south for 23 years, SC sounds nice.  This cold weather is killing me.  And I spend more time out in the cold than most because I'm always out back cooking on the egg.  It's actually been unusually warm for a few weeks now (in the 30s) and little or no snow so far this winter.  I'm sure the cold stuff is right around the corner though.  Good luck with the meat.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I grill several tenderloins thru the year and have found that simpler is better. Remove the silver skin, salt and pepper, throw on the grill and sear uniformly. Pull the loin, let rest, cut 1 1/2 - 2 inch steaks hit them with salt and pepper, sear both sides for 1 to 2 minutes per side and serve.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    If you're going to cut it into steaks, why sear it first?  I've done it both ways.  Both ways are good.  Either sear it whole and then cook indirect to 125F (at most), then rest and slice to serve...or just slice it into nice thick steaks and T-Rex them.  For cooking it whole, just smear with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and maybe some fresh ground pepper.
  • It is primarliy for eye candy. Typically when I steak them out in a 2 inch cut you have a rare edge. I use no oil and they come out fantastic every trip. But you are spot on either way.
  • A trick I learned from the chef of the fine dining restaurant I used to work at - rub it down with Dijon Mustard first.  You won't get a mustard flavour but it really brings out a fantastic taste on that steak.  Everyone will rave but no one would ever guess what you used.

T-Rex here too.
    I love my egg.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    T-Rex with the Grey Poupon on it?  The mustard doesn't burn and do "bad things"?
  • Lynde

Cooked my first beef tenderloin with the help of this post.  Seared at 550 deg for 8 minutes, then inserted plate setter and lowered temp to 350.  Cooked to 120 internal (about 20 - 30 minutes) and it turned out perfect.  Not a piece left.  Thanks to all that helped!

• bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Please help on a temp. question.  I tried a T-Rex the other night.  I had a dome temp. of 700 degrees and a grate temp. of plus 500 degrees.  What temp should I use for the T-Rex method?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    all temps are dome temps
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • texves
    texves Posts: 17
    How long does it take to get from around 650 for searing down to 350 for the slower cook?

also, @Sleev

I'd recommend staying away from putting anything edible into garbage bags.  They likely aren't food grade and small amounts of chemicals in that plastic can leach into your food.

Hefty has a nice 2.5 gallon bag, and you can also use the bags they sell for brining turkeys.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

I've done a stuffed tender loin. Sliced lenghtwise to within 1/2" to fold open. I sauted mushrooms and onions first for stuffing and a home made seasoning my dads made up 50 years ago (steak type seasoning).Fold back over and wrapped with bacon. Then marinated in soy and teryaki sauce overnight. I know ,sounds bad but bear with me. All my brothers said YUK! Until they tasted it . Now they all make it for company.

I've only made this on a gasser.Only been Eggin' since September.Seared and lowered to 125* internal temp.Oh, and a dry red . As much fun as you can have with your cloth on.

Bill

The first time I did this was with a venison tenderloin from the thumb of Michigan.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• I've done a couple of beef tenderloins on the egg and I think simpler is better. I age my tenderloin on a wire rack set inside a baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 5 and preferably 7 days. BTW my fridge maintains a 34 degree temperature. Remove the tenderloin from the fridge peel off the skin and  lightly season. Let the roast sit out for about 15-20 minutes then put in on your egg. Sear at 550 -600, lower to 350 and cook until internal temp reaches 125-130. Remove from egg tent and let rest a good 20 minutes. Enjoy!