Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Alternatives

JayHawkEye
JayHawkEye Posts: 196
edited November 2011 in Baking
I'm fairly new to the whole BGE thing and, as of yet, have not built up a very large collection of EGGcessories. Has anyone ever used a plain old ceramic tile as a pizza stone in their Egg? If so, is there a certain thickness needed? I was thinking of just buying a 20"x20" tile and trimming the corners to fit my XL. Any ideas?
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• kilts
    kilts Posts: 30
    I use a Big Green Egg stone because they will take the high temps.
    I had a pizza stone shatter as the pizza was but on the stone .
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    The tile will crack right away.  Use either a BGE stone, or my favorite, the Primo 16" glazed ceramic.  Even the Pampered Chef stones will not take the heat.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Agreed.  I hsd my Pampered Chef stone shatter the other day.  I finished baking the pizza and swithched out to the BGE stone.  At  550 - 600 it seems to a whole new ball game.
  • What about using a pizza stone designed for an outdoor grill? I just bought one and was wondering if it would work on my new BGE, so I didn't have to go buy another right now.
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    The pizza stone from the ceramic grill store is great. Can also use it as a platesetter on the Spyder from the same store.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    i ordered a plate setter from bbq outfitters, box had a weird rattling noise when it arrived even though it was wrapped nicely,all 3 legs were broken off. sent them pics of it they refunded my money. i found one at a local dealer. i put the broken one on top of my good platesetter and put broken pieces of legs in between an it works great. so if you break your plate setter dont throw it out.