Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

daisy wheel falls off?

Options
exspo
exspo Posts: 51
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Brand new bge owner, trying to learn all i can. So far things have gone well but i can't figure out why the daisy wheel falls off every time i open the lid. Doesn't matter what position the daisy wheel is in. Is there something i missed in assembly? I have a medium egg.
Thanks for all the great info on the forum

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Usually if you have the shiny bolt that they daisy wheel pivots on in the front closest to you, it will stay on.  Otherwise I'd say you have a bent "nest", crooked ground you have the egg on, or if it's in a table, an off kilter table. 

Mine stays on when opened, but I'm guessing the speed you open it may have an impact on that, however I'd assume you open it nice and easy.  

Hope you get it figured out exspo,

Frank
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Make sure the pivot of daisy is closer to handle (away from hinge) so when you open lid the wheel doesnt spin around and tip the whole cap over.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    One thing folks have done is to wrap some of the felt used for the gasket either on the neck of the dome, or the inside of the daisy wheel, to allow more friction so that it doesn't fall off.  Also, this may sound silly, but opening the lid more gently will also help!!

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Does it also happen with the ceramic top? If not there could be
    something wrong with the DFMT. I say if it is brand new talk to your
    dealer about replacing the dome or the top. If they won't help you call
    headquarters in Atlanta. I have two eggs, one the tops feel secure with
    no wobble and on the other egg the tops wobble. I never had one fall
    off so I just let it be. If my tops were falling of when I opened the
    lids I would have asked for a replacement. Ceramic replacement tops are
    not cheap, I know this because I've had to replace more then one after
    knocking them off my table. :(
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
     So far things have gone well but i can't figure out why the daisy wheel falls off every time i open the lid.
    This is pretty typical (I've seen this posted many times) if you don't have the bolts lined up.  Especially when the daisy is brand new and the opening isn't gunked up yet.
    SEE LINK HERE:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting

Packerland, Wisconsin

• hogaholic
    Options
    Like others have said. the bolt in the top holding the daisy wheel should be on the handle side of the egg.  I've never had it to fall off in 4 years of cooking with the egg
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • egginator
    Options
    Assuming that the lid doesn't fall off, you might want to always position the top so that the slider doesn't move when you open the lid.  This is a hard thing to explain, but an easy thing to show....  Imagine there is a line from the center of the handle to the center of the hinge.  You should alway rotate the entire cast iron top so a line between the two screws is parallel and to the right of the line from the handle to the hinge.  When you do this the adjustment will not move when you open the lid. 

Does this make any sense? 

Ed
  • exspo
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try positioning the bolt on the daisy wheel on the handle side and parallel to the center line. 
    It has, of course, rained everyday since I bought the egg so I will again be out cooking in the 40 degree rain. But it's well worth it when everything is on the table :)
  • exspo
    Options
    A follow up.... after using the grill for a few weeks, the daisy wheel is much more secure, in both the settings of the wheels as well as fit on the lid. Seems bge anticipated some gunk and engineered it for the real world vs the showroom. Smart!