Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips on first time pork chops

Mike8it
Mike8it Posts: 468
edited December 2011 in Root
I am so excited about getting my large egg for Christmas. I've had it since December 23rd and just getting to cook on it today. I had to cook steaks on the 23rd on my weber since the owners manuel said not to do high temp cooks the first couple of cooks(it was very hard for me to look at my egg and cook on the weber). I am planning cooking chops (2 inch thick) and brinning my chops in jerk seasoning, oj, rum then throwing the chops on at 400 degrees. Any tips on how long to cook these? I am very familiar with the proper temperature to cook pork to but not with the cooking style of my new egg. Look forward to being part of this wonderful community!!!!!!!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Numbers sound good, just treat it like any other grill with the lid down ... enjoy!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I cook my chops (and steak) at the max temp that I can get on my large BGE. I usually toss a handful of soaked apple and pecan wood chips on just as I am ready to start grilling the chops for a little extra flavor. For a 2" chop, I flip the chops about ever 2-2 1/2 minutes, and they are usually done in about 8-10 minutes. Finally, I just let them rest in foil for about 5-10 minutes before eating them.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Thank you for your responses. I went with a 2 1/2 hour marinade of oj, rum and jerk seasoning the sprinkled some more jerk on before I cooked them at 400• for 30 minutes with 5 pieces of applewood chunk. Turned out perfect
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405

i get 3" bone-in pork chops cut at meatmarket, dry rub for a couple hours, get egg upto 650. put them on cast iron grate 5 to 7 min. then flip them then i stick in temp probe an close vents when the temp hits 135 i pull them off. let them rest 15 minutes. crispy on outside like butter on the inside. the worst thing you can do is overcook pork unless your doin low an slow cooks like ribs and butts.

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405

i get 3" bone-in pork chops cut at meatmarket, dry rub for a couple hours, get egg upto 650. put them on cast iron grate 5 to 7 min. then flip them then i stick in temp probe an close vents when the temp hits 135 i pull them off. let them rest 15 minutes. crispy on outside like butter on the inside. the worst thing you can do is overcook pork unless your doin low an slow cooks like ribs and butts.