Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried The Gasket

Options
unit26
unit26 Posts: 53
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egg owner and a new forum member.    The wife and I bought the egg as a Christmas present for each other as I have been wanting one for a while.    
First attempt to cook a couple of pizzas ended with a burnt gasket.    While trying to get egg to 425 degrees and skyping with relatives for Christmas, I let the egg reach 700 degrees.   I was having a hard time getting over 350 so I opened the top vent completely and went inside.  When I returned the temp was at 700 and the part of the gasket not covered by top had turned black and hard.   I still have a good 1/2 of an inch of gasket left all around so I am asking if I should replace it or let it go until it burns completely.

Comments

• Peter Creasey
    Peter Creasey Posts: 253
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I suggest that you just keep on using it as is until it somehow begins to cause a problem.

. . . . .  Pete

• banzaitoyota
    Options
    My gasket has been toast for a couple years. Still able to hold 225 domme for 18the hour brisket
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'd either scrape it off and don't use any gasket or replace it with a Rutland gasket.  If you leave it half burnt / half on, you'll have leaks here and there.  Having leaks isn't the end of the world, but it doesn't help when it comes to shutting down the egg and trying to save lump for the next cook.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• AdrianBBQ
    Options
    Check out fredsmusicandbbq.com for a video on replacing it with a nomex gasket. I did both of my eggs and it works much better than the stock gasket.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I hear your pain. Shortly after I had gotten my egg I was doing a pizza cook and totally fried my gasket, pizza was still great BTW. Contacted BGE and they sent out a replacement High Temp gasket and I have not had an issue since. 

I also highly recommend checking out fredsmusicandbbq.com for a great video tutorial on how to prep your new gasket, remove the old one, and install. While I waited for my replacement gasket I kept on cooking just every time I opened the dome I was reminded that this thing gets HOT.

Welcome to the club of EGG owners that have fried their gaskets...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • old dawg
    Options
    Gasket? Oh,Yeah. I remember having a gasket on my egg. It got toasted and fell away, bit-by-bit. I haven't missed it. It still goes to 700 F and seals tight enough to smother the fire when the top and vent are closed.

Forget the gasket. It's just a complication.

Dan
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys.   I think I will leave it as is for now.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Gasket? Oh,Yeah. I remember having a gasket on my egg. It got toasted and fell away, bit-by-bit. I haven't missed it. It still goes to 700 F and seals tight enough to smother the fire when the top and vent are closed.

Forget the gasket. It's just a complication.

Dan
    Do as Dan put it. Have three egss and zero gaskets (for a long time).....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Did the same, buried the thermometer, ordered new Nex
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    ordered new Nex
    ?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Just saw a website for High-que gaskets. These are nomex gaskets that are self-adhesive. According to the website you do not need to disassemble your egg. Just curious if anyone has used these and if they are any good. http://www.high-que.com/Nomex-Gasket-Adhesive-Upgrade-X-Large/dp/B004OVAYJ8
  • horseflesh
    Options
    When I got an Egg a year ago I did a lot of reading on this forum and bought a Nomex gasket, preparing for the inevitable day when I'd toast my stock gasket. 

That happened 6 months ago and I have never noticed any problems resulting from having a crispy gasket. The Nomex gasket is in a box somewhere. I'll install it someday when fooling with it sounds like more fun than cooking and eating... It's gonna be a while.