Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Directions to build an extened grid

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Trying to help a friend that got a new egg for Christmas. The directions were on the Naked Whiz site, but I can't seem to find them now.

Thanks everyone!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    two fire bricks and a second grid is as easy as it gets
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    The one I made from The Whiz website has nuts, bolts, and washers

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Here are some pics from the naked whiz site. The first one is a home made one with nuts and bolts. The other is the grid extender from bge that attaches to the first grid. The sides lift up to access food on the lower grid.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Dawgtired
    Options

The one on the left is the one I'm trying to get directions for. Bolt sizes, etc.

Thanks

Ronald Reagan

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I don't know the exact sizes because I use fire bricks, so I can't help ya there - but what I could recommend is taking your grid to your local hardware store & just seeing what size bolts fit, and what size washers will keep the bolts from falling through.  As far as the length, you can measure from where your first grid sits, to a height you want to raise it to.  Keep in mind that the higher you go, the smaller the grid will have to be due to the curvature of the dome. 

Aside from that - fire bricks work WONDERS!! 

Anyway, let us know what solution you decide to go with!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • egginator
    Options
    I built the one on the left and would recommend the fire brick method.  Buy a box of 6 of them for ~$10 and you will use them for all sorts of things.  If you have a tile cutter even better.  The bolt/rack thing is a pain to store and not that stable.  Also, you need stainless bolts, so it's not that inexpensive either.  

Ed
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    I also prefer to use the brick method.

To answer your question, you can find instructions from TNW to build your own here:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#raisedgrid

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • got2bbq
    Options
    I used four 5" carrage bolts with two nuts and washers.  when all the way to the top I can still do two butts on the top grill.  I used a grill for a 22" webber it is actually a little smaller than the GE grill so it will give you the clearance you need.  It is real stable and can be lifted off if you want to get to the lower rack.  I have also used the bricks and they work but I loose to much rack surface for what I do 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Bricks are good, already had them, so for two level cooking, I use the CI on the bottom and my SS grate on top.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.