Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, cooking filet on the Egg and we love the egg, but we are not very good at it yet.

Options
TVarley
TVarley Posts: 1
edited December 2011 in Root
 We are cooking 8 thick  but not large filets for Christmas dinner.  We can bring the egg to 500 but have trouble maintaining that heat.  How long on each side and when should we start the fire?

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    It takes my egg about 20 minutes to reach 650-700 deg. I put my wife's filet on for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side, then close all vents and let it cook about 5 min more..this usually gets around 140-145 deg. med, which is how she likes hers
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The only things that should stop you from easily reaching and exceeding 500F are available [suitable] fuel and oxygen supply.  If you're having trouble getting a roaring fire going, the easiest fix, assuming you don't have an ash clogged fire grate / fire box, is to add a fan of some kind to the bottom vent...forcing more air through the fire, brings in additional O2.

If you do have an ash clogged fire grate, a wiggle rod might fix that (without having to empty the egg)...and if you don't have one, just make one from a wire hanger.  I actually did that this morning and used it to poke ash out of the fire grate holes.