Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Carwash Mike's Rib Question

kmcadillac44kmcadillac44 Posts: 31
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hi guys -  having had seriously varying results trying different ways to cook ribs, today I am going to try Carwash Mike's method on 2 racks.

Are the temps he quotes dome temps?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Merry Christmas!

·

Comments

• kmcadillac44kmcadillac44 Posts: 31
    edited December 2011

·
  • Most all temp recommendations seem to be grill or meat level.  The dome guage will vary over the course of the cook as it heats and stabilizes. I clip my temp proble to the grill or meat rack depending on what is cooking and measure there.
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    I think Mike was referring to dome temps., but I've been wrong before!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • Thanks for the replies!  I am going to try 225 dome temperature and see how it goes -  I do not have the cider/vinegar for the misting -  does that make much of a difference?
    ·
  • Unless otherwise specified the stated temp is dome. Every egg has a temp guage, or should. Adding the vinegar mist adds a little tang but not much else.

A 225 dome temp can be a little difficult to maintain which puts you close to 200 at the grid plus it can add quite a bit to the cooking time.

·
  • So far i"ve been at 250 dome -  haven't been able to drop it lower and I've kind of assumed anything below 300 will turn out OK -  will let you know how it goes!  I am going to crank it up to 300 dome now
    ·
  • To me trying to worry about dome temps vs grate temps is overrated.  I've done both but over the years have relied solely on dome temps and I've never had anyone say the food was bad.  :)

Bottom line.....become a dome smoker and your life and food will be much better.  imho
    ·