Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I want to thank everyone for all the hard work at Waldorf!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was my first eggfest and I did not know what to expect. It was a little bit weird being there by myself on Friday night, but the moment I walked into the meet and great party, I knew that I had found a new group of livelong friends. I had no idea how much work and dedication goes into one of these fests, and I am still in awe over the food that was prepared. The lucky people that did all the cooking not only supplied their own food, seasonings, and utensils, but they worked hard and hardly had time to sample the other delicious dishes that were served up. I have to laugh when people say "I don't understand why a bunch of people are so into a grill, and why would you go to a party with a bunch of people you don't even know". Well, I know ya all now!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for a great weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Saucey Sue,[p]Hey thar'....Young Lady!![p]It sure was nice to make your acquaintance. You're the only "partier" I know who brings her own Security!![p]Here's a pic for you and your Brother. I also have more. Let me know And I can send one printed to you both if you're not able to do so!![p]P51400552.jpg[p]Glad you made it back to Cincy ok!![p]Evans.....aka
    "Chubby"

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chubby, Hey buddy!! so nice to hear from you. I got back about 9PM last night, and I must admitt, I am tired!! Could not wait to get to work this AM so that I could get on the forum!! thanks for the picture, and yes, I would love a print if you have an extra. That is Carls new baby, and he fired her up last night for the first time. I know he wanted to show off some of his newly acquire cooking skills to his wife and daughters. By the way, he had a blast, and isn't fun to get someone else hooked on Egging!!?
    So nice to meet you too!!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Saucey Sue,[p]Good enough...[p]Send me your mailing address to my email off the board.... and I'll print you both one for posterity!![p]Should I send Carl's to you also?[p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Saucey Sue,[p]Great you could make it to the fest. All egg owners become part of the family, and although fest are optional, they are like family reunions (like meeting that long lost uncle or aunt for the first time).[p]Trake care![p]Smokey[p]
  • PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    Saucey Sue,[p]This was my third eggfest and I felt the same way my first time. Very hesitant to attend alone! However, Nature Boy was the first egger to "befriend" me and I felt right at home every since. I have enjoyed cooking the last two years, and even brought two "non-egging, non=barbecuing" friends this year, however, they have already asked to come back next year and contribute food so I can do twice as much. Now that says a lot for the friendly "egg family". Thanks to everyone for making them welcome.[p]Mr. Earl, will you share your technique for salt-crusted fish??[p]Paulete
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    PRobinson,[p]It was so nice seeing you again, Paulette! We had the same experience. Larry and I didn't know a soul when we came the first year, but like you, were welcomed with open arms and have made some wonderful friends. [p]There's just something about egging that you can't really explain, but it brings folks together...[p]When you catch your breath, could you post the recipes for the cobbler and the crab imperial? Those were fantastic![p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Saucey Sue,[p]It was great meeting you. You'll be cooking at one the next time, I can bet![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    PRobinson,
    Hey Paulette, it was super nice meeting you. I kept meaning to tell you that you reminded me of my favorite employee of all time. Y'all both have the same kind demeanor and you both can cook some great tasting stuff. Her name was Elvie, but she insisted I call her Grandma, now she was about the same age as you and nowhere near old enough to be my Grandma, but that's just the way she was.[p]If Mr. Earl doesn't post his exact technique and recipe I'll give you the basics here.[p]You basically make a paste of egg white and course groud salt, Kosher works well. You can use a little water if you need to but keeping it as dry as possible while still having it hold together is the key. You lay down a layer of the salt mixture and pack it down on the bottom and leave it a little loose towards the top. Mr Earl was using a pizza stone, but you could use something metal as well. You then take your whole fish and lay in whatever seasonings you want to use. Salt, Pepper, Fresh Dill and lemon chunks work pretty well. Lay your fish down on the bed of salt and then pack the salt mixture all around the fish. You have to completely enclose the main body of the fish and it's ok or even better to enclose the head and tail if you can. Pack it in tight and make sure it is all covered with at least a half inch of salt. [p]I'm not sure what temp he was using, but HOT works very well. I would go for 500° to 600°. The fish is protected by the salt so you won't burn it. I'd go about 10 to 15 minutes depending on whether you started with a hot pizza stone or not. It's very hard to overcook food using this method because the salt forms a protective moisture barrier around the food.[p]When it is done it is very hard and very hot so you have to handle it gingerly and basically crack the salt barrier open with the back of a knife or hammer. You want to scrape as much of the salt away from the food as you can and then carefully lift it out. In the case of Mr. Earl's we used 2 long knives as spatulas and had the serving board as close to the fish as possible. It was easier to lay it open and remove just the non skin portions than it was to try and remove the entire fish from the casing.[p]You could also just serve it right out of the salt if you wanted to.[p]HTH[p]Bobby

• PRobinson
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Thanks for the help. I will try it this weekend. Hope to see you at the next eggfest.
  • PRobinson
    Options
    QBabe,[p]As promised, I will post all three recipes tonight. Look in the "new recipes" under "seafood" and "deserts". Looking forward to seeing you next eggfest. [p]