Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey Plate Setter Problem!

Options
bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited December 2011 in Poultry
Hello,
Got the bge yesterday.  Cooked two turkey's this morning.  I had an aluminum tray and turkey sitting on the plate setter.  I had another turkey on the grate on top of the first.  The temp. never got above 375.  When the birds were done I noticed the plate setter cracked nearly the width of the setter.  The cracks are on both sides.  There were drippings burned on the plate setter.  Did I do something wrong?

Thanks  for your help.

Phil

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That's an interesting endeavor for your first cook.......or, for any cook for that matter. You didn't say what size the egg is or the weight of the turkeys. It sounds like you probably had a defective plate setter. They shouldn't crack under the conditions you describe assuming you didn't have two humongous turkeys bearing weight on the plate setter. What was supporting the cooking grid? Can you describe your set-up? 
    At any rate, you need to contact your dealer for a replacement.......they'll probably want a photo or they may ask you to bring it by if that's not too inconvenient.
  • bamafan62
    Options
    The two turkeys weighed less than 10 pounds each.  The legs were "up" and sitting on the grate on top of the fire box.  The bottom turkey was sitting in a foil tray on the plate setter.  The second turkey was elevated by three cans sitting on the fire ring.  The second turkey was on the grate and was sitting on the three cans.  There were drippings burned on the plate setter.  The dealer is closed until after the first of the year.  Should I not use the setter until after the dealer has seen the item..  I have sent them an email but I don't guess it will be seen for a while.  The turkeys turned out great!

Does a new grill burn charcoal faster that "normal"?

I appreciate the information.

Phil
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I have cooked some rather heavy items on the plate setter without such an issue (full #12 cast iron dutch ovens, etc) so it sounds like a defect. 

I don't know that I would avoid using it before getting it to the dealer after the new year, other than I wouldn't use it to support weight in the mean time. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bamafan62
    Options
    I am thinking the whole BEG and plate setter are a problem.  After we got the grill home the green cap had a piece broken off and was glued back on minus chips.  The wire screen was torn.  The grill is a large and as you well know they are not cheap.  I am very disappointed and I will be in touch with the "mother ship" if the dealer does not fix the problems asap.   

Does a new grill burn charcoal faster being new.  Is there a break end period.  I was shocked at the amount of charcoal it took in 4 hours.  Just another stress test ;=0. 

I appreciate the assistance you guys have given.

Thank You,

Phil

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Wow, with those issues it sounds like it wasn't handled well in shipping or at the dealer.  Hopefully your dealer will make it right ASAP.   My local dealer rocked the one time I had a problem, handling it for me quickly.  But if yours doesn't I know the mothership will make it work.

As far as new egg burning faster?  It doesn't burn faster but a clean or new Egg definitely burns a little different than one that's been used for two years....or so I found out when I bought my wife's Egg last year. 

Burn times are relative.  I typically can smoke 18 hours at 250f easily on one load of coal but I can burn almost the same amount in just two hours cooking at 650f.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bamafan62
    Options
    Thanks,

The burn issue has been the only positive news I have heard!  This group has been very helpful and I really appreciate your help and positive advice.

Phil