Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

do I need a thermo pen as well...

smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,741
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas to everyone. Question I have is, I have a remote thermometer with probe (cable type). Use it for long and slow cooks, pork tenderloin etc. Now if I want to check internal temps say on a burger or steak, is this the right set up. Will it give a quick reading. When I am flipping burgers or steaks, the probe and cable would be a hinderance in my mind. I don't want to be poking holes in a good steak, so that is why I am asking. Is it worth getting a thermo pen as well. Or do I just get used to the egg style of grilling without it. In the past I haven't used any type of thermometer on a gasser. Would the pen be over kill if I already have the probe/cable style.
Have a Great Christmas with your families.
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    I've got both; like you mentioned the cables are a bit of a hindrance when hot-grilling, and I too just grill by eye on anything thin, like a skirt steak or chicken poillard.  The Thermapen is pricey but after I made my last house payment I decided to splurge a bit, and I'm glad to have it.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    Forgot to mention, the Thermapen has a very fine tip, and doesn't leave a gaping hole in a steak like my cabled probes do...

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Got both & Luv my pen
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
    ·