Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

do I need a thermo pen as well...

smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,719
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas to everyone. Question I have is, I have a remote thermometer with probe (cable type). Use it for long and slow cooks, pork tenderloin etc. Now if I want to check internal temps say on a burger or steak, is this the right set up. Will it give a quick reading. When I am flipping burgers or steaks, the probe and cable would be a hinderance in my mind. I don't want to be poking holes in a good steak, so that is why I am asking. Is it worth getting a thermo pen as well. Or do I just get used to the egg style of grilling without it. In the past I haven't used any type of thermometer on a gasser. Would the pen be over kill if I already have the probe/cable style.
Have a Great Christmas with your families.
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,133
    I've got both; like you mentioned the cables are a bit of a hindrance when hot-grilling, and I too just grill by eye on anything thin, like a skirt steak or chicken poillard.  The Thermapen is pricey but after I made my last house payment I decided to splurge a bit, and I'm glad to have it.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,133
    Forgot to mention, the Thermapen has a very fine tip, and doesn't leave a gaping hole in a steak like my cabled probes do...

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Got both & Luv my pen
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
    ·