Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breast

Options
RichmondBGE
RichmondBGE Posts: 11
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
What's a good time/technique/temperature for cooking boneless/skinless chicken breast?  After many attempts, I think I have mastered chicken thighs now, but definitely need some more practice with chicken breast....

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I like to cook the bone in breast with the skin. You can pull the skin off after cooking if you like. Cook to an internal of 165 after resting. I cook then direct and flip once.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stevesails
    Options

i prefer bone in breats too.  but hte wife will buy boneless sometimes. and I just grill them direct high off fire, so i dont burn them. 350-400 dome, untill they are firm and i know they are done.  Sometimes i will put to the side over my half moon raised grill with the half moon ceramic thng, just to "bake" them.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

When and if I have to do boneless chicken breasts, I like to pound them down until they are a uniform thickness. helps them cook faster and more evenly. Generally about 375 dome, direct until they hit 165.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tfoutch
    Options

I agree with direct ahd cook on a RAISED GRATE 350-375 dome temp.  Cooking at the fire ring seems to get the outside too done and makes it charred if not careful. 

I have had good results with cooking indirect over the plate setter too. 

Chicken breast turns out moist and delicious like everything else you cook in the BGE!

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • RichmondBGE
    Options
    Are you cooking direct at the felt line? higher than felt line? or on the fire ring? About how long should I expect them to take to get to 165 degrees? When are you flipping?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I cook boneless skinless breasts all the time. I do them indirect at 350 dome usually with apple or peach wood for smoke. I usually start checking temps 30 minutes after I put them on cause the smaller ones will be close to 160 but the bigger ones usually stay on for 45 minutes or so. Cook to 160 and then wrap in foil for 10 minutes to rest and they will hit 165. I find if you pull at 165 they are going to be dry. I have seen at many competitions they even pull at 157-158 and wrap.
  • Gato
    Options
    I have cooked them direct at the normal level. Kept dome between 330 and 350. Takes between 30 and 45 minutes. I flip once. Internal 165 after rest.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Austex_Egger
    Options
    I always used a raised grid,  dome about 350-400.  Flip after about 10-12 minutes and start checking temps 10-12 minutes later.  Having a Thermapen has made a big difference with chicken breasts (ALWAYS aver cooked before).  Got Grillgrates for my B-Day a few weeks ago.  Makes for some nice grill marks and helps with keeping things moist.
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    I do mine indirect at around 400. Come out moist and juicy. I'll open the vents toward the end to get some color.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Cooking indirect, is there any need to flip them during the cook?  Do you marinate or season, or just remove from package, pat dry, and put on the grill?

Those who say they use direct with "raised grid", what do you mean?  What's the setup that gets your grid higher without the platesetter under it?
  • Gato
    Options
    Here is a pic of a couple at regular level. If you do a raised grid you would need a raised grid, or rig up some fire bricks under the regular grid. Some use bolts, some have adjustable rigs etc. I think from the ceramic grill store.
    Geaux Tigers!!!