Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canned Tomatoes and the BGE ...

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need a recipe that is a sure fire winner with canned tomatoes. I was thinking of stuffed peppers or pizza margarhita.[p]

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    try making a casserole, drizzle some olive oil on the maters, cracked black pepper and sea salt, place thin slice red onions on top, then crispy smoked bacon from the egg, then top with provolone, Gouda, and mozzarella. Bake until bubbly.

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Are you sure that canned tomatoes will be the only product that will be passed out at the contest? [p]You can go to the Red Gold web site to see what they produce and do look at the recipe section for some ideas. [p]Gonna take something very special to place high in this event but anything using dough or pasta should do well. [p]For a long shot, make a dessert up with the products that they will pass out as I feel that it might do very well. [p]Dave

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I'm betting on canned tomatoes, sauce or paste ... but you are right they do make several different products.[p]See ya Friday.
    Doug

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]
    How bout stuffed eggplant with bread crumbs, parmasean, italian sausage topped with canned tomatoes and cooked indirect at 400 for 30 min. or so.[p]Bullet

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Anyone know if the Red Gold stuff they give us has to be used in the MAIN dish or can it be used as a condiment on the side, or say a salsa of some type? May be treading on thin ice here but just curious as we're workin' on a couple of different angles.[p]Troy
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Roast red, yellow and a little green pepper, peel and slice. Thin slice some garlic. Slice and grill onion @ low heat. Grill some sweet and hot itialian sausage and cut into bite size pieces. (this can be done in advance)[p]Cool the grill down to around 250. and set the plate setter. In a non reactive dish mix canned tomatoes and all the above except sausage. Roast in the egg for an hour @ 450 to 600 to cook and reduce the liquid. (If you use wood chips I suggest oak and not a lot)[p]Remove from heat, cool slighly, pour into blender and chop. Now pour this over the sausage and return to heat. Boil the pasta once pasta is done, toss with a cup of sauce.[p]To serve put pasta in a bowl, pour sauce with sausage over the pasta and top with high grade fresh ground parmesan cheese.[p]Serve with fresh bread and olive oil for dipping.[p]

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    sprinter,
    I understand that the choices will be paste, diced or ketchup. If they are handing out a condiment then I would guess it could be on the side.[p]Hmmm... maybe some fries and a cheeseburger.

• Unknown
    Options
    Troy,[p]bbqfan1 asked Arlie about the rules for this part of the contest and I think the only said was that the platter or container couldn't exceed 12X18 inch. [p]Dave