Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holding a Standing Rib Roast for 5 Hours - possible?

Options
wvfishfood
wvfishfood Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Folks,

Given travel plans on Christmas Day, I'm going to attempt to hold a 12 lb rib roast for 5 hours. Setup: indirect at 500 when meat goes in, then damp down immediately to drop temp to 325ish. Planning to start the cook at 3:00 am, finish it by 8:00 (hopefully with temp at 125) wrap it in foil and towels and hold in warmed cooler during travel. Dinner is planned for 2:00 pm. Does anyone have any advice? Most of my family prefers their beef on the upside of medium. I think we that like it rare will have to suffer for the group. Any advice for this relative newbie is greatly appreciated! Happy holidays!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Give the mediums the outside cuts and throw there slices in a pan and ruin them for them. Why should the fans of rare always have to suffer?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    You should not have the outside at 140 or lower for over four hours, therefore when you arrive and serve at 2:00 PM the "buggies" will have multiplied in transit. Someone could get sick.
    Keeping the meat at or above 140 will comtinue to cook the meat ( in transit ) arrives closer to well-done.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks