Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Holding a Standing Rib Roast for 5 Hours - possible?

wvfishfoodwvfishfood Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Folks,

Given travel plans on Christmas Day, I'm going to attempt to hold a 12 lb rib roast for 5 hours. Setup: indirect at 500 when meat goes in, then damp down immediately to drop temp to 325ish. Planning to start the cook at 3:00 am, finish it by 8:00 (hopefully with temp at 125) wrap it in foil and towels and hold in warmed cooler during travel. Dinner is planned for 2:00 pm. Does anyone have any advice? Most of my family prefers their beef on the upside of medium. I think we that like it rare will have to suffer for the group. Any advice for this relative newbie is greatly appreciated! Happy holidays!
·

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    Give the mediums the outside cuts and throw there slices in a pan and ruin them for them. Why should the fans of rare always have to suffer?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • You should not have the outside at 140 or lower for over four hours, therefore when you arrive and serve at 2:00 PM the "buggies" will have multiplied in transit. Someone could get sick.
    Keeping the meat at or above 140 will comtinue to cook the meat ( in transit ) arrives closer to well-done.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    ·