Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drunken Chickens

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited December 2011 in Root
Relative newcomer here...I have had success with pizza and pork tenderloin, but ready for a yardbird.

One of you experts please supply me with temps, time and chicken prep for a Drunken Chicken and I'll be forever grateful.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

Spatchcocking is good and really easy. If you mean beer can chicken then try it like this. You will get about a  twenty degree difference between the thigh and breast. The fat from the rear end will baste the breast too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gooddogjudge
    Options
    that's a fine picture but I'm curious to know time and temps, temps and time.

Anyone???
  • Little Steven
    Options

That one was over a drip pan with spacers between the platesetter and the drip pan. I've done them from 300* to 450* and they always come out great. I had the idea a couple of years ago(not sure if I was first) cause the dome is hotter than the grid. I use the BGE stand and stick a ramekin of some type under the bird. The drippings go into the ramiken and the fat overflows so you have some really nice jus.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gooddogjudge
    Options
    We're getting somewhere now...about how long at 375?
  • Smoker_Guru
    Options

Cook until the breast temp is 160 and the thighs are 180. It will probably take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

• Little Steven
    Options
    We're getting somewhere now...about how long at 375?

Depends on the size of the chicken.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    edited December 2011
    Options

As mentioned by Smoker Guru, your target temperature are about 160 F for the breast and 180 F for the thighs.

Here is a little chart for Chicken Roasting times (unstuffed)

2 1/2 to 3 lbs - 1 to 1 3/4 hours

3 1/2 to 4 lbs - 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours

4 1/2 to 5 lbs - 1 1/2 to 2 hours

5 to 6 lbs - 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours

If you do not possess a meat thermometer, then you can check that the meat has been properly cooked in two ways:

• The drumstick should move about freely when wiggled.
    • The juices of the chicken run clear upon inserting a skewer into the leg.

Budget about 20 minutes per pound.

Good Luck!

Marc
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    Thanks to all...chickens were devoured!