Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Frozen Leg of Lamb question

Da Kine Green BBQDa Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

I have a 7 lb leg of lamb in the freezer. It is rock-hard solid. I plan on cooking it this week for Christmas.

Question -
Is it OK to cook it while partially frozen, or should I take it out of the freezer and move it to the fridge - like tonight - and let it thaw out completely?

I am planning on cooking it on my large BGE using Steven Raichlen's method for leg of lamb Provencal (studding with garlic, rosemary and olives).

Any hints appreciated, this will be my first lamb cook.

Happy Holidays!

Wayne

·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    better to thaw, but you can cook partially frozen.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Hi Stike -

Yeah - I thought so. I will be looking at the temperature carefully. Kinda expensive chunk of meat, and I don't want to ruin it, ya know. Although - so far, even my misteaks have been tasty!

-wayne

·
  • cowmancowman Posts: 10

I raise sheep and we age the meat in a cooler for 10 days at about 33 degrees.  I wouldn't worry about taking it out of the freezer today and letting it thaw in the fridge.

Don't overcook because unlike beef theres no marbling in the meat and it just gets drier as the temp goes up

·
  • cowman -

OK, that sounds right. It's in the fridge. raise sheep -sounds like you have a nice place to stoke/cook on your BBQ machine!

Happy holidays.

wayne

·
  • Da Kine Green BBQ

See if you can find some olive wood, just perfect for lamb. Steven Raichlen has it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Excellent suggest, will save it for the next lamb cook - thanks!

Da Kine Green BBQ

See if you can find some olive wood, just perfect for lamb. Steven Raichlen has it.

·