Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning a plate setter

Options
born to grill
born to grill Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to clean a plate setter?

Comments

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Cook a few Pizza's :)

Seriously though, most people just burn the crud off.
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    Woody is right. I just open the vents get a high temp. sometime I will turn it over to get both side good and hot and then brush the stuff and go on.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Woody is right, just burn it. Sometimes I will scrape built up spots with a putty knife first, but mostly just burn it :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    when u crank up the heat to clean it, if you decide to flip it over halfway thru, make sure you have some GOOD gloves. Even at that, be quick about it!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    you've now gotten plenty of good advice on how to clean it, now are you open to some more advice? I always wrap the exposed side of my setter with foil when there is going to be a mess. Not only is clean up easy that way your ceramic setter doesn't get the build up of crud which can give off-tastes to subsequent cooks. BTW I'm not a cleaning nut - but I do gag at some crud covered plate setters I have seen! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Oh com'on Ron, what's a little burnt chicken fat on your quezadia's?? :laugh: :laugh: ??
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    Options
    besides that, it does impart a smell to your food, to a degree that depends on what you've cooked and/or how long it's been cruddy..  like chicken or bacon to me are most notably stinky, so best to try to keep it clean with a shield under your food! 

-- grok, Eggspert since July 2011
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    My dog usually licks mine clean.  haha

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Were supposed to clean them?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Were supposed to clean them?

+1
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.