Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 lb Pikes Peak roast

joe317
joe317 Posts: 28
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5lb pikes peak roast I plan on cooking today. Any ideas on how long to cook it for? I planned on doing it indirect at a low temperature (225 F). I've looked at other recipes and it's saying only a couple of hours for a 6lb rib eye or try-tip roast.

Comments

• DocG
    DocG Posts: 4
    I did a 6 to 7 pound sirloin roast yesterday. Put it on at around 1:15 PM at 225 indirect. I pulled  and tented with foil when it hit 118. (about 4.30 PM) I got the egg up to a steady 475 in about 15 minutes and put the roast back on for another 15 minutes to sear. I pulled it again, wrapped it in foil then 2 bath towels and place in an insulated cooler. The roast was at 133 when I pulled it last and was 143 two hours later just before I sliced it. ( wife likes it a little more done than I) 
  • joe317
    joe317 Posts: 28
    I'm still learning temperature control so I ended up cooking at about 300 F. Put the roast on at 1:00 pm and it was up to 150 F by 4:45 pm. Turned out well and everyone enjoyed. Next time I plan on pulling it off at 140 F so I have more medium rare meat.