Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool down time

Options
odie91
odie91 Posts: 541
edited December 2011 in Root
I would like to buy a BGE, but have an issue.  I would have to bring it indoors (into my apartment) after each use, otherwise it would get stolen.  How long would I have to wait before I can safely put it in my living room?  I would get a SMALL if that matters.

On a similar note, those of you who take your SMALL for tailgating.  I assume you have to let it cool before putting it in your car.  Maybe those of you could give me some input....

Thanks!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I don't know the answer to my own question, but I'd think you need to also worry about how long the cooker might be giving off CO.  You would think that if the cooker is cool, the fire is out and no more CO is being emitted.  But then, I've done a number of things in my life that ended with the words "You would think...." I would be sure to have a CO detector in the apartment if you are going to do this, assuming you don't already.  You never know.  Some time you might be pressed for time and be tempted to bring it inside before the fire is completely out.

The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Here is data from today for a LBGE-ambient air temperature 41*F-LBGE was shutdown at 400*F dome and temp was below 200*F in 45 minutes. Best I offer-hope this helps.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bill_b
    bill_b Posts: 13
    Options
    The dome may have cooled off in 45 minutes but the coals  are much much hotter and can still start a fire and cause carbon monoxide poisoning. I would leave overnight and then rake coals to see if still warm.  You could also tack weld the nut near a handle and then chain handle to a railing.   I would never bring mine in before two days - just to be sure it is safe.
  • stevesails
    Options

I agree, Carbon Monoxide would be my concern.  I was thinking put it on the stove and rn the exhaust fan. (if vented to the outside.  but CO is heavy isn't it?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Odie91,  
    I cooked a tritip tonight on our small.  Seared at 550 then lower temp to 330.  Shut down (bottom vent closed rain cap on) was 1:40 ago and the dome temp is now a little below 200.  The bottom is still very warm to the touch.  The ambient outside temp is 59.  I would be very hesitant taking your egg inside your apartment until the next morning. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Hm... I'm not liking what I hear! Maybe the better question should have been, does anyone have any creative ideas to secure an Egg so it doesn't get stolen?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Good point! I shuddered at the OP as well. At eggfests they scoop all the lump out and get them ready for pickup. Scary business. You can run a chain up through the lower vent and out of the daisy and padlock it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Thru the hinge.
    I used to use a chain when i went in to stadium at a pats game, but the thing is hot enough that no one screws with it.

Heck, even though it is usually cool when the game is over, i have had times when the coals were still hot. Dumped water from the cooler in it. Hahaha

Even did this at an eggfest, much to the surprise ofthe other attendees.

Cools it down quick

In your case, just try a permanaent chain looped thru the hinge. Honestly, most people have no clue what the thing is and that itself is a theft deterrent
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • upnsmoke
    Options
    I am not a safety nut and hate to go here but once upon a time my downstairs neighbor stored his ashes/coals in a metal coffee can on his back porch (supposedly made sure they were extinguished). The story is a visitor put their cigarette in the can (but i have my doubts), about 4:30 am there was a knock on my door that the porch was on fire and they could not wake my downstairs neighbor...

IF you are are going to remove and store the coals which is a great idea, get a safety can that seals...