Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Tilapia tacos

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I had some tilapia in the freezer, and all the things to make fish tacos, so I decided to throw them on the Egg and give it a try.  Definitely not what I would have chosen to buy for tacos, but it should work ok.  I made a rub called Willy's Number One-derful Rub that I put on half, and used Dizzy pigs Raging River on the other half.  I have sliced avacodo, red onion, soft shells, sweet salsa, and chipotle sauce.  

I put them on alder planks, and have some remaining cherry or apple chunks in the firebox (might be strong for fish, but taco meat is always pretty pungent), and have the temp right around 210 to start.  They are super thin so they prob won't take long at all.

Anyone used tilapia for fish tacos?  Or actually, ever used smoked fish of any kind in tacos?  

Frank

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I've used both catfish and tilapia for fish tacos, but grilled them on the egg, instead of slow-smoked. Both were surprisingly good. I would take out the cherry, but leave in the apple chunks.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • FxLynch
    Options
    They turned out really good, surprisingly so actually.  I might have to tweak the seasoning in the future, and maybe play with not using the planks but still using indirect.  Definitely a success!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    I want to try this too; bookmarked!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    2 pounds of snapper or grouper or any flaky white fish
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 tablespoons adobo sauce
    Juice of 2 limes

Combine and marinate 30 minutes. Remove from marinade, pat dry and spread hot sauce (I used Franks) over each filet. Grill but don't over cook. I got this recipe from Patio Daddio and it's good. He also has a recipe for coleslaw and an avocado cream sauce tha goes real well with the tacos.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    did your planks smoke at all at that low a temp?
    planks usually do best at 350-400.  they don't really flavor the food by contact, it's just the smoke from them that does it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FxLynch
    Options
    did your planks smoke at all at that low a temp?
    planks usually do best at 350-400.  they don't really flavor the food by contact, it's just the smoke from them that does it.

No, it was bad planning on my part.  I hadn't thought it through and had them on the planks when I decided to go with a low temp.  I did take them up to 350 at the end, but not long enough to get the planks smoking.  Thankfully the wood chunks gave it some smoke though. 

Frank

• galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Options

Tilapia by the thousands swim right in front of my house and yet, for some reason I have not caught and "egg.ed" any of them yet.

This forum will get me going....

Aloha