Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3.5 lb pork butt

Options
jscarfo
jscarfo Posts: 405
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
i just bought a small pork butt to make pulled pork. i know for a 10 pounder it take about 16 hrs. anyone have an estimate for a smaller one im guessing 8-10 hrs, this one weighs 3.68 lbs. just dry rubbed it and stuck it in fridge. thinkin 7am tomorrow morn

Comments

• GreenhawK
    Options
    Mine usually cook at 1.5 to 2 hours/ pound no matter what the weight.  I would guess that you are planning on more time than it will take.  You can always take it off, wrap it in foil, and put it in a cooler though.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    If you cook at 250 grid level, they cook at just over an hour a pound.
    I just did (2) 9 pounders and they took 10-11 hours.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited December 2011
    Options

Looking forward to hearing how you make out on the time ... I have 3.5 and a 4.5 lb boneless tied butts to do in a couple of days.

Happy eggin' !

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    I did a 10lb bone in Boston butt it took 22 hours at 250 dome 10-11 hours seems kind of fast.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I did a 10lb bone in Boston butt it took 22 hours at 250 dome 10-11 hours seems kind of fast.

I said 250 grid, you said 250 dome. 
    There's a good 25 degree difference there...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jscarfo
    Options
    i just bought a small pork butt to make pulled pork. i know for a 10 pounder it take about 16 hrs. anyone have an estimate for a smaller one im guessing 8-10 hrs, this one weighs 3.68 lbs. just dry rubbed it and stuck it in fridge. thinkin 7am tomorrow morn
    i will start it around 11 in morn either late lunch or early dinner. thanks i will let ya know omorrow night
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I just pulled a butt of the grill that I put on at 8:00p last night so 21 hours, but the temp ran at about 200 during the night. Not my choice but I had a center burn that lowered the temp, normally try to run at 250 dome. Looks good foiled and waiting right now.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • jscarfo
    Options
     i can smell it from here
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    If I run the dome at 250 the grate should be about 225? That makes sense from the other times I have seen for a temp of 225.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    If I run the dome at 250 the grate should be about 225? That makes sense from the other times I have seen for a temp of 225.
    Yup, it varies, but that's about what I see when I monitor both my dome therm and my Maverick or DigiQ at grid level.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 1klrvette
    Options
    My new stoker is in the mail so I will have a better idea of the grate temp next time.
  • jscarfo
    Options
    just took the butt off the egg.  started it at 11:30 this morning, took it off at  4:30 everything fell apart except the very center. average dome temp was 280 took pork off when it hit 190. it had a nice crust and was moist.added some eastern norh carolina bbq sauce,  tasted good ABT's tomorrow  thanks for info    cheers
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Thanks for the update, I'm doing  4.5 & a 3.5 lbers tomorrow. Saturday, I will be doing ABTs for our Xmas eve chili potluck.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stevesails
    Options
    I take mine off at 195. a slightly better result.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI